Author Topic: Chicken ID  (Read 3810 times)

Chicken ID
« on: July 31, 2005, 01:41:45 AM »
Are these true Ameraucanas or more of a easter egger?  They have all black feet and mostly black beaks.  The darker one is a black and gold color.  They both have muffs and beards and pea combs... I\'m fairly new to chickens..

John

Chicken ID
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 12:54:37 PM »
They look like Ameraucanas, but don\'t meet the requirements of any of the 8 recognized varieties.  They may be helpful in breeding projects.  I can\'t tell if the one on top has black feathers laced in buff of the other way around, but maybe she could be used to develop black gold.  The one in the bottom photo looks like a blue tailed buff and maybe could be used in breeding buff.

Chicken ID
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 07:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments!  here\'s a pictue of the black one close-up The flash really picked up the gold, it\'s slightly muted in real life.  

John

Chicken ID
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 09:19:10 PM »
Looks like a good start towards LF black gold to me.
What do think, Mike?

bantamhill

Chicken ID
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 11:16:10 AM »
I have been using two hens that resemble the one pictured in my efforts to make black gold.

Michael

John

Chicken ID
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 01:23:30 PM »
I made my first cross this year toward LF black gold.  Who else is working on it?
I\'m only doing it because some members are working on it in bantams and would like to keep the same varieties in both breeds.

Mike Gilbert

Chicken ID
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 10:51:15 PM »
Looks like a lot of brown in the feathers, but it is a starting point.   A black gold should be black and gold, without the brown.   Having said that, I did use a hen this year that was kinda \"muddy\" because I liked her other characteristics.   But the goal is black with gold lacing and shafting - without the brown and without the muddy looking feathers.   But hey, everyone has to start someplace.   Now the trick is to find the right kind of male to complement the female.

Chicken ID
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 02:34:54 AM »
Does anyone have a picture of a chicken that is a good representation of what black and gold should look like? Also, what type or color of male would you reccomend? I have all hens at the moment...