Author Topic: need straw colored black/gold  (Read 2686 times)

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
need straw colored black/gold
« on: November 12, 2007, 10:53:17 AM »
I looked back at all my photos of black gold birds and the only straw colored hackles and rumps I have are on blues.  I need to bring the straw color into my flock because it\'s doesn\'t appear to be present in my gene pool.  Argh.  

I\'d be very grateful to anyone that could help me with stock.  

If not, what would be the best breed/variety to bring in for the proper color?  If I brought in the Golden Phoenix, I\'d have color but don\'t know if I could ever lose the tail length.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Mike Gilbert

need straw colored black/gold
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 07:50:31 PM »
Since black golds were made originally by crossing brown red with buff, I would cross in a buff -  if I could find one that is truly golden yellow buff and not orange.  That way you would not have to go outside the breed.   Also, the golden phoenix is based on wild type at the e-locus, and the males are half sex-linked silver and half sex-linked gold;  so they would not breed true.   Their \"gold\" is not true breeding, it is made by mixing the the two colors.   Plus you would be bringing in genes that would cause white in the earlobes, which can be very difficult to eradicate.   Plus the large fowl  are smaller than Ameraucanas.  Not a good plan in my estimation.