Author Topic: NPIP Certification  (Read 11495 times)

NPIP Certification
« on: January 19, 2008, 05:11:52 PM »
I am wondering how many of you have your NPIP Certification and if you think it is important that we buy eggs and birds only from breeders who are NPIP certified.

Ramona Iwan
Iwan\'s Poultry

bantamhill

NPIP Certification
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 08:01:41 PM »
I have NPIP Certification. One of the agreements you make is to buy only from NPIP certified flocks when one joins the program. It does give a person a measure of the standards of the seller possibly. When I have had to buy from a non-certified flock, I go through the off premises quarentine and have the birds tested.

Michael

NPIP Certification
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:53:35 PM »
We are certified.  
Also, by state law poultry and eggs brought into the state of Massachusetts must be from certified flocks.

Mike Gilbert

NPIP Certification
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:37:52 PM »
I have the Wisconsin equivalent here, but not sure how many states recognize it.   It\'s called the Wisconsin certified flock program.   All birds are tested once a year for pullorum typhoid.   Then we are good for shows and swaps for one year.

John

NPIP Certification
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 07:55:18 PM »
I am a certified tester and my Parent Flock NPIP Certification Number is 31-208.
The program probably was a good idea decades ago, but personally think it is a waste of my time and money to go thru my flock each year, as I do, and blood test each bird for pullorum/typhoid.
I don\'t have the stats, but doubt there have been more than a couple birds that have tested positive for it, in Michigan, in the past couple decades.  

Anne Foley

NPIP Certification
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 09:46:34 AM »
I am really interested in this topic and I just received the Indiana certification paperwork.  We are considering certification.  The requirements are to be tested for three forms of Salmonella (pullorum, gallinarum, enteritis), two forms of Mycoplasma (gallisepticum, synoviae), and A.I.  After initial testing, there is maintenance testing every 30 or 90 days for all but the pullorum which is to be done yearly.  There is an annual $80 fee plus the cost of NPIP school every 3 years.  I don\'t know who will pay for the blood work as I am not aware of any antibody other than pullorum available on the public market.  Are other states not as tough?

John

NPIP Certification
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 10:09:21 AM »
In Michigan I pay a $5 annual fee that is sent in with my flock test report.  I took the class and became a certified tester about 20 years ago.  I don\'t have it all memorized, but as long as I test about 30 birds a year I don\'t have to go back thru the class.  I pay $15 every few years (I think) to keep my tester certificate current.
I know other states are demanding a bunch of other tests and going out of their way to make it more costly and down right difficult to own chickens.  The APA should lead a lobbying effort, with breed clubs, show clubs, etc., to pull the reins in on this frenzy that the bird flu hype started.

NPIP Certification
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 10:24:18 AM »
I\'m not certified.  In my state (WY) it doesn\'t cost anything to have them come and test, but you have to buy the anitgen yourself.  $100 + to test just a few birds seems a bit rediculous to me.  In my state, they have to be tested for a few other things as well, but that is picked up by the state.  I wouldn\'t mind doing it for a smaller fee, but that much to test my 15 adult birds (they have to be 4+ months to test) that all came from NPIP breeders or hatcheries isn\'t worth it, especially since my birds have never left my property.  I have a lot of chicks right now, and may consider doing it when I have more adults to make it worthwhile.  When I was in 4-H, we tested all of our fair birds, but we just paid $.50 per bird to help pay for the anitgen.  But that was in Indiana.  Also, a few birds tested pos in Indiana one year, were killed and sent to a lab, and then they reported back that the birds were negative.  That scares me a bit.  

Anne Foley

NPIP Certification
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 10:54:26 AM »
Ksacres, They now sell 100 dose pullorum antigen.  I just bought a bottle at Twin City Supply, Ohio.  I think it was around $30.  In Indiana, the guy in charge of NPIP certification says that they have not had a confirmed positive pullorum bird in Indiana for 100 years.  I guess that means that no one from the Indiana State Board of Animal Health (who is still alive) can ever remember a confirmed case.

NPIP Certification
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 11:01:09 AM »
That\'s what I just said about Indiana, birds that test positive have to be sent to a lab for confirmation.  The birds had tested pos with the anitgen but when sent to a lab, came back negative-that would be the unconfirmed part.  It\'s rare, but it happens.  I\'m just glad they weren\'t my birds.  I think I was about 11 or 12 at the time.  I\'ve been looking online for the anitgen, and the cheapest I could find was $125 for 250 doses.  None of my feed stores carry it either.

John

NPIP Certification
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 11:05:27 AM »
and then they reported back that the birds were negative

That seems to be the norm.  We were told if it appears the a bird is positive to recheck it in 15 minutes.
I\'ve heard different rumors that in Michigan there has never been a confirmed positive and also that there have been a few.

NPIP Certification
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 01:13:17 PM »
The reason that I asked the question is because in the state of WA the testing up until now has been voluntary because even though it was put through as temporary legislation a couple of years ago no one is enforcing it.  Olympia is now trying to make it a permanent part of the law that in order to transport birds to and from WA they must be tested and have NPIP certification or they will not be let in or out. The state vet here told me that if it does not get voted in we will no longer be considered a pollurum free state and therefore will not be able to transport birds into and out of the state even though to her knowledge there is no one in a lot of states including WA to enforce it.

Also in WA in order to be NPIP certified you only have to be pollurum free and AI free.  They took the MG and I think salmonella test out of it 2 years ago.  

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
NPIP Certification
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 02:11:58 PM »
Ramona,

It is required to remain NPIP certified that you only purchase eggs and birds from NPIP certified flocks.  Dr. Davis will be checking our flocks and paperwork next year when she comes back to redo testing in the fall.

Also it is already the law to have NPIP, pullorum typhoid testing or health certificates on every egg and bird entering the State:

WAC 16-54-145 Washington State Register filings since 2003
Poultry, including ratites — Importation and testing requirements.

Import health requirements.

(1) All poultry, including ratites, imported into Washington state must be accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection.

(a) USDA VS form 17-6 (Certificate for Poultry or Hatching Eggs for Export) will be accepted in lieu of the certificate of veterinary inspection.

(b) For hatching eggs and baby poultry, a USDA NPIP VS form 9-3 (Report of Sales of Hatching Eggs, Chicks, and Poults) may be used in lieu of the certificate of veterinary inspection.

(c) The certificate of veterinary inspection must include either the NPIP number or negative results of the required tests.

(2) Poultry or hatching eggs must originate from flocks or areas not under state or federal restriction.

(3) Each ratite entering Washington state must be permanently identified with USDA approved identification. The type of identification must be listed on the certificate of veterinary inspection.

Import test requirements.

(4) Poultry must:

(a) Originate from an NPIP participant flock that has met classification requirements for pullorum-typhoid, Salmonella enteriditis, and avian influenza; or

(b) Test negative within thirty days before entering Washington for pullorum-typhoid, S. enteriditis, and avian influenza.

(5) Hatching eggs must originate from an NPIP participant flock that has met classification requirements for the diseases listed in subsection (4)(a) of this section. If the parent breeder flock is not an NPIP participant, the parent birds must be tested for the above diseases within thirty days before entry.

(6) Turkeys, their poults, and eggs must originate from a producer who is participating in the mycoplasmosis control phase of the NPIP or must have been tested serologically negative for M. gallisepticum and M. synoviae within thirty days of entry.

Exemptions to import health requirements.

(7) Doves, pigeons, and poultry destined for immediate slaughter are exempt from the certificate of veterinary inspection and testing requirements.

The State is revising the law to state that all birds exhibited will have to have the same certification.

To the questions brought up by others, the field testing in WA is free.  Two of my birds came up positive on the field test, so the veterinarian took blood and sent it to the lab, they both were negative and it cost me $1.50 per test.  They also test what the Federal guidelines are for the number of birds on your property.  Its 30 birds or 10% of the flock, whichever is more.  And they only test for pullorum/thyphoid to be certified, you can be tested for other diseases at your own expense.

Washington has a backyard poultry health program going on and I am being paid $60.00 every quarter for them to come out and test 12 of my birds for AI.  They are testing people who are in waterfowl \"flyways\", like I am by the lake.  It\'s free money...

Jean

Jean

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
NPIP Certification
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 06:09:50 PM »
We have a Texas equivalent.  The state has four testers who each have a section of the state.  They go to each farm once a year and blood test for Pullorum Typhoid.  It is illegal in Texas to move any fowl that is not from a tested flock.
Paul Smith

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
NPIP Certification
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 09:40:50 AM »
I think that in California a small backyard breeder can NOT be NPIP certified.  Only the very large commercial operations are eligible.  
Lyne Peterson
Northern California