Author Topic: Moon phases  (Read 8302 times)

Moon phases
« on: January 19, 2008, 05:54:25 PM »

I would like to know if you members have attention in the Moon phases to incubate eggs ?

bantamhill

Moon phases
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 08:11:03 PM »
I did when I was a kid, but timing is now more important.

Michael

Moon phases
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 09:51:11 PM »
What does the phase of the moon have to do with incubating eggs?

Tim

Mike Gilbert

Moon phases
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 11:33:47 AM »
I refuse to set the eggs of any hen that moons me.   And the first rooster that trys to will be a candidate for my freezer.
Wait - what was that question?

Moon phases
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:36:31 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
I refuse to set the eggs of any hen that moons me.   And the first rooster that trys to will be a candidate for my freezer.

ROFL!  Got my giggle for today.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Moon phases
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 06:05:49 PM »
We set ours by the calendar-every other Monday, if it does\'nt cause the hatch to fall on a holiday.  We plant the garden seeds by the time of year-not paying any attention to the moon phase.  I do know from experience that the moon phase has a great effect on animals when they are to be dehorned, casterated with the knife method or docked (tail removed with knife-off sheep).  I also know that the moon phase has an effect on the gulf tide.  It is high in the full stage.  The current is in half the month then changes to out the other half.  Learned that a few years ago when we were going deep sea fishing and had to settle for jetty fishing because of too large of waves on the ocean.  I\'m eager to hear what the moon phase has to do with incubating eggs?
Paul Smith

John

Moon phases
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 07:02:48 PM »
Some feel that fertility is higher during certain times of the month based on Astrology and \"signs\" of fertility.
It seems like I once heard that some thought setting eggs according to the moon would increase the ratio of females to males or something like that, but can\'t find the source.  
The Romans thought eggs should be sat when the moon is \"growing\" (waxing) and of course that meant there would be a better chance of the chicks growing in the eggs, plus they should hatch when the moon is growing again and that should give the chicks a boost.

Moon phases
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 03:41:25 AM »
 Yes , my grand mother liked to seeting eggs for they hatch in the waxing phase , the chicks born better .

vanalpaca

Moon phases
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »
Seeds do better and plants grow better by the moon phases, has to do with WATER CONTENT and pressure. The moon DOES make the ladies crazier due to the pull on the water content of their bodies.

More babies are born on a full moon, just ask the maternity ward.

Also, the mental hospitals really do have their hands full on a full moon. Again it is the influence on the water content, but this is where the name \'lunatic\' comes from.

Since an egg is a higher water content....there is possibility of moon influence, but I would be clueless about the timing to take advantage of it.

Personally, I\'m going to blame it for my bad hatch. 6 rockers on day 18, today is 21.5 days and NOTHING, so I think the embryos are now dead. But if something shows up in the next day or so....if this keeps up all spring, I\'m throwing out the cabinet bator......

Beth C

Moon phases
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 10:41:47 AM »
Bonnie: I used to think that was a wives tale until I worked the midnight shift at a 7-11 for a couple of years. I swear the mental hospitals opened their doors and turned their patients loose. That shift was interesting to begin with but there was a marked difference during a full moon. At first I laughed when seasoned employees told me about the full moon thing but half a dozen naked customers later I was a believer. :stare:

I\'d never heard of setting eggs by the moon but I remember my grandparents swore by the almanac for crops. (I don\'t remember Granny ever having chicks, come to think of it - I believe she bought her replacement layers). And living on the coast I know the tide part is fact, and eggs are mostly water. And I\'ve heard changes in barometric pressure can affect wafer thermostats, so there really might be something to it.

Unfortunately I can\'t really try it because I only have a small window to work with. It gets so hot so fast here and really young chicks fare badly, so I start setting as early as I can, and set every week until the first of March. My first hatch was Christmas Eve and my last hatch of the season was 2 weeks ago. (Doing my part to improve winter laying - if it ain\'t laid an egg by Feb., it\'s out of the gene pool! :p) But just for fun I\'m going to go back over my records and see which hatch was at which moon phase. I really don\'t want to repeat my next to last one.

Oh, and I know this is an old thread but it\'s the first time I\'ve seen it and have to say Mike\'s post totally cracked me up!

vanalpaca

Moon phases
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 11:18:22 PM »
Well I\'m sure when we were younger......

OldChurchEggery

Moon phases
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 12:47:23 PM »
If you get an almanac, there\'s usually a table that shows \"Best Days\" for planting, harvesting, and yes- setting eggs! I\'ve tried it a few times and had a couple of 100% hatches when I did so. Now, it could have just been coincidence, but I\'m convinced enough to do it every so often. I definitely use the almanac when sowing seeds for the garden.

Johnny Parks

Moon phases
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 10:02:01 PM »
Hahaha....this is interesting!  My grandpa use to say he did not plant on the moon he planted in the ground.  Planted when he felt like it and did well I\'ve been told.  LOL

Tailfeathers

Moon phases
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert

Mike it is just that such sick sense of humor that I love about you so much!

You really crack me up sometimes!  But thanks!!  I actually LOL and it was a welcome break to my day.

God Bless,

vanalpaca

Moon phases
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 09:13:08 AM »
I\'m still trying to figure out how a hen would moon him. Ah well, late to the party.........