Author Topic: Incomplete dominance of birchen over wheaten  (Read 10742 times)

John

Incomplete dominance of birchen over wheaten
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 08:00:23 PM »
to tell the genetic difference on the buffs in layman terms is to see what color legs they hatch out with

That\'s a good point.  Wild type chicks will show some darkness in their shanks when they hatch compared to wheaten based chicks.  

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 09:53:26 AM »
Can you explain the leg color \"code\" better?  I\'m not aware of this at all.  Jay\'s bird was slate legged, but I get a LOT of yellow legs on the buff chicks.  What is \"blue legs\" - a shade of slate?
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

John

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »
There is adult leg/shank color and that is what is described in the standard, but when chicks hatch thier leg color is not necessarily that color.  Wheaten based chicks (wheaten & buff Ameraucanas) start out with pinkish shanks that darken over the first few months.  Wild type based chicks (silvers) start with shanks that show just a bit of darkness.  Extended black and birchen based chicks (all the other varieties) have dark legs when they hatch.
As adults I believe (that is to say IMHO) black birds should have black legs/shanks.  Brown Reds may have slate or black (that is my understanding at this time).  Blue, splash, white, lavender and silvers should have slate legs.  Buffs, wheatens, blue wheatens and splash wheatens should have blue legs (blue being lighter than slate).  Many genes influence shank color.  Most of our varieties call for slate shanks, but I don\'t think it is always practical.  Some varieties will normally have blue shanks and that may be what we should strive for with those varieties.  Maybe \"blue to slate\" would be better wording in the standard for some varieties.
 http://home.ezweb.com.au/~kazballea/genetics/mutations2.html#gen_mut_leg

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 07:48:52 PM »
Lyne,

I have started writing a book concerning genetics and breeding. It will most likely take me three or four years to get the book finished. I will have to do many crosses and gather information for the book that I can not find in publications or I have not personally witnessed.  I plan on having a chapter devoted to chick down. I will have a boat load of pictures in the book.

I am writing for the novice and for a person who has breeding experience. It will cover many topics.

If anybody has suggestions, I will be glad to hear from you.

Tim

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 10:33:13 PM »
That will be great, Tim.  Send me the draft chapters for the novice.  If I don\'t get it, you will know what to \'splain better.  ^_^
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
Lyne,

I will send you my section on dominant white.

Tim