Author Topic: Large Fowl White  (Read 3064 times)

philipu

Large Fowl White
« on: August 18, 2005, 02:44:08 PM »
I\'m going through my white large fowl ameraucana\'s,
There is one male that in type is great, however, his eyes are sort of a silver(pearl eye?) I picked up another and her eyes are getting the correct red color.
Is it too early to cull on the eye color?
The birds are 10-11 weeks old.
Thank, phil

Mike Gilbert

Large Fowl White
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 06:18:29 PM »
Yes, I would say its too early to cull based on eye color.   That takes time to develop, expecially in the whites I have raised in the past.  Mine would often look green but then turn reddish bay when the birds were older.  I would hold him until he is at least four and maybe even six months old unless you find problems other than that.
Hope you had a great birthday.   That cake sounded pretty good!

philipu

Large Fowl White
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 09:48:19 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Yes, I would say its too early to cull based on eye color.   That takes time to develop, expecially in the whites I have raised in the past.  Mine would often look green but then turn reddish bay when the birds were older.  I would hold him until he is at least four and maybe even six months old unless you find problems other than that.
Hope you had a great birthday.   That cake sounded pretty good!

Thanks Mike,
I\'m glad there are boards like this and members who have
exprience with a breed, and help us, so we don\'t rush some of these things.
He is looking good.  It is not my intention to keep white, black or blue, I want to just work on the Buff.  I do however want to be able to pass on to others birds that are correct in type, etc..
The cake was great....really enjoyed it.
phil