Author Topic: Black gold proposed standard.  (Read 4113 times)

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
Black gold proposed standard.
« on: July 01, 2008, 12:07:08 PM »
Black Gold Ameraucana
Proposed Variety Standard, spring 2001

Color of Male

COMB, FACE, AND EARLOBES: Red
HEAD: Golden Bay
BEARD & MUFFS: Light golden brown tinged with grey
NECK:    Hackle - Golden bay, slight black striping permitted in lower hackle
      Front of Neck - Golden orange
BACK: Golden bay, each feather penciled with a single broad band of black.
SADDLE: Brilliant black, each feather laced with golden orange and with straw colored shafting.
TAIL:    Main tail - black with straw color colored shafting
      Sickles, Lesser Sickles and Coverts - brilliant black with light orange shafting and thinly laced with light orange
WINGS:    Bows - Deep orange bay
      Coverts - Orange bay
      Primaries - Dull black, leading edge light gold stippled with black, straw colored shafting
      Secondaries - Black, lower edge orange-gold stippled with black, producing a wing bay of orange gold heavily stippled with black
BREAST:   Upper breast - same as front of neck
      Lower breast and Upper Thighs - Orange gold, each feather having a broad single penciling of black
BODY, STERN, AND FLUFF: Dull black irregularly barred with light golden orange
LOWER THIGHS: Same as body and stern
UNDERCOLOR: Slate

Color of female

COMB AND FACE: Red
EARLOBES: Very pale, conforming to color of skin
HEAD: Light golden bay
BEARD & MUFFS: Light golden brown tinged with grey
NECK:   Hackle - Light golden bay, striping in lower hackle permitted
      Front of Neck and Upper Breast - Golden orange
BACK AND CUSHION: Black, finely laced and shafted with bright golden straw
TAIL:   Main tail - Black, finely laced and shafted with bright golden straw
      Coverts - Same as main tail
WINGS:    Shoulders, Fronts, Bows, and Coverts - Dull black, finely laced and shafted with bright golden straw
      Primaries - Dull black, leading edge light bordered with golden straw
      Secondaries - Black, shafted with golden straw, leading edge stippled with golden straw
LOWER BREAST: Dull black, each feather shafted and penciled with golden straw
BODY: Black, finely laced and shafted and penciled with golden straw
BODY: Black, finely laced and shafted with golden straw
STERN: Dull black
LOWER THIGHS: Same as lower breast
UNDERCOLOR: Slate

Defects

Failure of single broad penciling on lower breast and back of males.  Excessive black on upper breast of males and females.  Excessive black striping in hackles of either sex.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 12:08:39 PM »
One quick thought... I\'ve had some very nicely laced birds that had a dark beard and muff.  I wonder if it was just coincidence and is inherited separately.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 02:21:29 PM »
I suppose any of the proposal  is subject to change, up until the time it is submitted for standard recognition, once we know better how to breed the black gold color.   After seeing some recent photos on the internet it is my belief this is the \"gold\" version of the Silver Sussex pattern bred in the U.K.
Does anyone know if there are any Silver Sussex in the U.S.?

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:44:24 PM »
Mike,

The Silver Sussex question has been asked recently by someone elsewhere. The response from a Sussex \"expert\" is sadly a NO.

I\'ll keep searching!

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 09:58:25 PM »
Well, take a look at the Brown Sussex...
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sussex/BRKSussex.html
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 08:29:46 AM »
Kinda ugly coloring IMHO.   I see a lot  more lacing on the silver sussex;   there seem to be some differences other than the sex linked s/S allele.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 11:57:35 AM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
I suppose any of the proposal  is subject to change, up until the time it is submitted for standard recognition, once we know better how to breed the black gold color.   After seeing some recent photos on the internet it is my belief this is the \"gold\" version of the Silver Sussex pattern bred in the U.K.
Does anyone know if there are any Silver Sussex in the U.S.?

I was just reading this topic and YES there are Silver Sussex in the USA. The breeders name is Paul Bradshaw and I believe he is in Florida. He imported Light, Buff and Silver Sussex form Australia in 2007. He sells on eggbid.com

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 05:01:29 PM »
Yes, I had heard about Bradshaw\'s importation from Australia, contacted him, and he sent me some pictures via e-mail.    He also has \"Coronation\" Sussex, which is something like a lavender columbian.    I believe he only started with a single pair of the Silvers, and he did raise a few this year but not too many.   I do believe the genetics are very similar to that of what we call black gold in the Ameraucanas.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 07:05:45 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Yes, I had heard about Bradshaw\'s importation from Australia, contacted him, and he send me some pictures via e-mail.    He also has \"Coronation\" Sussex, which is something like a lavender columbian.    I believe he only started with a single pair of the Silvers, and he did raise a few this year, but not too many.   I do believe the genetics are very similar to that of what we call black gold in the Ameraucanas.

I did not know he had Coronation. I love that color. I will have to get back in touch with him.