Author Topic: When do you cull?  (Read 2725 times)

When do you cull?
« on: July 02, 2008, 01:11:18 PM »
So I\'ve got my little flock here, already I can see some differences between them. Course I have no clue what I\'m looking for!

Do you cull later when you can tell the pullets from the roos? (Any tips to tell early?) Is what they look like at 4ish months pretty much how they\'ll be later on?

I do have a couple silvers, can I breed Silver to Blue, Black or Splash? Or just to Silver? (In which case, I\'m going to need more chickens, shhh, don\'t tell my DH!)

Anyone going to any of the Upstate NY fairs (Monroe, Ontario or Syracuse) with Ameraucanas BTW?

Dawn

Mike Gilbert

When do you cull?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 01:17:57 PM »
Dawn,
If you want \"purebreds\" breed silver only to silver.   The other colors you mention are much different from a genetic standpoint.    Check our Breeders Directory for others in your area.   Larry Clionsky of PA has silvers too.

John

When do you cull?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 05:51:08 PM »
Dawn,
Some of us start culling when the chicks are hatched and continue to cull as they grow.  
If you get some time use the \"search\" button on this forum and check out some of the old topics on these subjects.  Use words like \"cull\", \"culling\", \"cross\" & \"silver\", etc.

When do you cull?
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:22:23 PM »
Dawn,

Not many people show Ameraucanas at shows near in Syracuse.

I was the only one this past June and last October.
There are some usually at the STate Fair in Syracuse,  maybe 2 exhibitors, if that.

Sue

When do you cull?
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 05:30:16 PM »
Anyone going to any of the Upstate NY fairs (Monroe, Ontario or Syracuse) with Ameraucanas BTW

Anyone have the dates and maybe distance to Albany?

bantamhill

When do you cull?
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 06:48:01 AM »
This past spring we had several shows in the Northeast District with Ameraucana meets which were new to me as secretary, which is really positive. There has been growth in club membership over the last two years in the Northeast and I suspect folks are probably getting close to venturing to shows. The current list of Ameraucana meets is at the following link:

http://www.ameraucana.org/ABC%20Meets.html

To request a meet a club member needs to contact their district director or the club secretary to set up a meet at their favorite poultry show. Contact information for directors is at the following link:

http://www.ameraucana.org/abcboard.html

The July issue of Poultry Press has ads for the following shows in your area:

9/7 Bath, NY
9/14 - Waddington, NY
9/28 - Cobleskill, NY
10/18-19 - Syracuse, NY
11/2 - North Oxford, MA

Michael