Author Topic: New member/Question about layer ration and free ranging.  (Read 4401 times)

verycherry

New member/Question about layer ration and free ranging.
« on: July 11, 2008, 09:27:47 PM »
Nice to be here!  I\'ve been lurking a little while trying to learn more about Ameraucana chickens, and chickens in general.

I purchased four (so called) Ameraucana pullets locally, only to find out later that only one even comes close to an Ameraucana, and to top it off, I think one of the other 3 is a roo!

Don\'t get me wrong, I love my little EE\'s, but honestly, I really REALLY want some true Ameraucanas.  I heard this is the place to be if I wanted to find some nice ones.

I also have some other breeds (16 chickens in all) and I have a question about chickens in general.   I know you need to keep them on a good layer mix when they begin to lay, to make sure they get the right amount of protein.  Well, the kids and I have been giving them treats from the time they went outside, like cantelope halves and over ripe plums from under the tree, and of course they free range when we\'re at home.  Should I still do this when they start laying, or should they only have their layer ration?  How many treats are too much?  Do I have to limit their free ranging?  How do I know they\'re getting what they need?

By the way, they\'re only about 11 to 12 weeks old right now, and all look healthy and happy as can be.

Thank you!
Sherry from Arkansas

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:06:28 PM »
Welcome Sherry,

I have some chickens that get to free range and I believe they balance their diet by choosing what they want to eat.  They don\'t eat as much layer ration, but they seem to beg for scratch.  Maybe it\'s just a social thing because I\'m the bearer of good scratch grains.  ^_^
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

verycherry

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:19:13 PM »
Thanks Lyne.  Maybe they do know what they need.  I keep their feed available for them at all times.  

I\'ve been giving mine the chick starter from day 1, but I can only get the kind with antibiotics, and last time mixed a bag of the layer mix with it........don\'t ask me why!  I can\'t remember where, but I think I think I recall seeing that you could start mixing the two after 10 weeks.  I\'m not sure that\'s good to do or not honestly.  Does anyone else do that?

Sherry

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:46:46 AM »
Hi Sherry.  I\'m also from Arkansas.  I would keep those young ones on the medicated feed for a few more weeks especially if you have other older chickens around.  I do have some true Ameraucana\'s and if you are looking for a young cockeral, I\'m going to have some extras that I need to find a home for.  They are about the same age as yours.  Presently I have only black and splash.  Thanks to Paul.   ;)
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

verycherry

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 09:33:15 AM »
Nice to see another Arkansan here!  I\'ll just go back to straight chick starter then.  I sure don\'t want to take any chances.  I don\'t have older chickens, but my neighbors do.

I do like the black and splash, so I\'m tempted, but am still trying to learn a little about chicken genetics before I just dive in.......a second time.  No females available?  Where are you in AR?

The one female out of those 4 first EE\'s is Wheaten, though not up to standard it seems, so I don\'t guess I should breed her, but I wanted to raise the blue wheaten and wheaten initially.  I also like the blue, black and slash, but then found out (by reading the threads on this site) that if I cross those colors with other colors I\'ll just get more EE\'s.  

Anyway, I guess I have to choose a color and stick with it, or have two separate lines, two separate chicken runs, etc...  I have a few acres, but not the facilities.  I\'m still working on improvements to the first coop and run as time and money permits.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 11:03:15 PM »
No, shouldn\'t breed black and /or splash to wheaten and blue wheaten.  You would end up with EE.  Females are kind of precious to me right now.  I\'ve only had chickens for the past three years and started with EE\'s myself and then ordered my Ameraucanas after learning more.  I hatch my own eggs to keep from introducing any new kind of bug to my flock and I haven\'t had the best of luck hatching shipped eggs over the years.  I also free range my flock when old enough, so I\'ve had to deal with losses from dogs over the last few years also.  I\'m hoping the addition of my new Pyrenees pup will take care of that problem in the future.  Anyway, I do not have any females this year that I\'m willing to let go right now, but next year if all goes well, I will be hatching blacks, blues and splashes.  I\'m in NW Arkansas by the way.

Sharon
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 09:40:55 AM »
Sherry,

I start my chicks on chick starter then switch to chick grower when they get to around 2 months of age. I switch to a layer ration when they start laying eggs. Chick grower is a bit cheaper.
The important thing to remember in feeding birds is to do everything in moderation.

Free ranging is great. It cuts down on my feed bill and allows the birds to get plenty of protein. Insects are full of protein. Free ranging can introduce nematode parasites into your flock. They will show up as small white roundworms in the feces. I check my birds feces for worms in the summer.  Do not get all worried- you can treat your birds with phenothiazine or piperazine to get rid of the worms. The chemicals paralyze the worms so that the worms pass out the body. You are not supposed to sell the eggs from the birds ( my interpretation of the protocol) that have been treated with piperazine and their is no clearance time. The funny thing is that doctors prescribe piperazine for humans that have ascaris or pin worm infections in much higher doses than the infinitesimal amount that would be in a chicken egg. I emailed the Food and Drug Administration about the situation but they never got back with me on the subject. That figures- government is long on telling what you can not do and short on explanations.

Changing the feed given to layers can effect the number of eggs the birds produce. Give the birds two weeks to adjust to any new feeding regimen.

Tim

John

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 10:02:18 AM »
should they only have their layer ration?

I have too much invested to let my birds out to \"free range\".  Years ago we did let them out and I loved to see them in the yard.  Either free range supplemented with a layer ration or the other way around is fine in my opinion.  
I know of a local farmer that sells eggs and he always kept his birds in the chicken coop/pen.  He feed a layer feed, but diluted it with shelled corn about 50/50 to cut down on feed cost.  This is not something I would suggest.  The commercial feeds are \"complete\" feeds and may be supplemented with other feed, but common sense is needed.

Blue Egg Acres

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 05:05:22 PM »
Quote from: John

I have too much invested to let my birds out to \"free range\".

Occassionally I give in to the temptaion and let my birds out becasue they love it so much but for the most part I\'ve resigned myself to the same line of thought as John. It\'s not an easy task sometimes achieving improvemsnts and losing a good bird (this is what happened the last time I let my hens out) is just too costly. I feel a little better about keeping them penned this time of year because they do get a lot of vegetable/fruit scraps such as corn cobs and watermelon rind.  

verycherry

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 06:33:32 PM »
I completely understand about the females Sharon.  I wouldn\'t be able to give up any pullets either.

I know what you all mean about free ranging.  It makes me nervous to let them out, so I\'m either out in the area with them, or in the garden just a few yards away.  If I go in, I put them up.  The main area they run around in has a fence around it, and even though they can get out in some places, they usually go right back in.   I guess they\'ve figured out it\'s safe inside the fence.  Probably helped that my 5 year old chased them back in a few times!

I haven\'t noticed any bags of chick grower at the store, just the chick starter, and the gamebird starter (which is pricey).  We\'re a pretty small town though, so the selection is probably more limited.

John

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 08:14:47 PM »
I haven\'t noticed any bags of chick grower at the store, just the chick starter

I believe that most companies just produce a combination starter/grower that you can feed for the first 18 weeks for pullets and exhibition fowl.  Generally there is a special starter/grower for meat birds.  
Purina incorporated the \"ina\" part of thier name with thier product names like Startena, Growena and Layena.
Now days I buy a ton of feed at a time in 50 pound bags.  It is delivered to our home and is cheaper due to the volume discount and gas savings.  I just call my feed rep and tell him what I want and it is delivered within about 10 days.  I only use two feeds...Pullet Starter/Grower and Game Bird Layer which is a pellet.  
http://www.admani.com/AlliancePoultry/