Author Topic: Splash Standards  (Read 8394 times)

Korfus Kluckers

Splash Standards
« on: August 20, 2008, 10:05:01 PM »
I was wondering if anyone was still working on the splashes to get them recognized by APA? I was taking on another group and the standard for splashes came up. Has anyone worked on writing a draft for the standards? I noticed the discussion on here in the achieves and though I\'d ask.
Thanks,
Christina

Mike Gilbert

Splash Standards
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 10:00:05 PM »
No push right now that I know of, but it could be done almost anytime enough members want to go for it.   It takes five people who have bred them at least five years the last time I checked who are willing to bear the costs of travel to show them at  qualifying meet(s).   Splashes are easily produced by mating blue to blue.     When it happens, both large and bantam should be qualified simultaneously IMO.  A quick check of my 1998 version of the APA Standard of Perfection
did not turn up any breeds with the Splash variety, though I didn\'t do a real thorough search.   This seems to indicate the A.P.A. is probably not real interested in admitting splash varieties.    I don\'t see them as much of a challenge to produce, but they can be useful as breeders when mated with blacks to produce 100% blue progeny.

Korfus Kluckers

Splash Standards
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
Well, I have a few now and do plan on working with them. All mine have light slate legs. Some people have mentioned breeding birds in with light legs and from the pictures I have seen light eyes too. I\'ve looked threw the whole Standard and no Splashes.
From you experienced breeders what do you breed in as far as leg colour? Myself, I prefer the light slate legs. I think it looks good on the birds. They dont really look right with the white legs IMO.  :stare:

Mike Gilbert

Splash Standards
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
No Ameraucana variety has white legs.    White Ameraucanas generally have a nice medium to dark slate leg, though years ago we used to get a lot of bantams with light slate.   I think that has generally been pretty much been bred out of them.   The dark provides a better contrast, and a white bird with red comb and slate legs has a very nice appearance.

bantamhill

Splash Standards
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 07:56:31 AM »
Christina:

The American Bantam Association (ABA) has a splash variety description and I have always assumed that would be the one to use since it already exists.

Michael

Korfus Kluckers

Splash Standards
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 08:00:02 PM »
Where can I find that? Is it in the 1998 Standard?
Thanks~
Christina

Mike Gilbert

Splash Standards
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 09:29:20 PM »
Any edition of the standard published by the American Bantam Association.
The ABA, as opposed to the APA, describes many more color varieties in a seperate section near the end of the book.

Korfus Kluckers

Splash Standards
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 07:46:41 AM »
Thanks Mike and Micheal. I\'ll go and find one.

bantamhill

Splash Standards
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:46:30 PM »
Christina:

I am using the 1998 version of the ABA Standard.

I started collecting on the membership form when folks renew what new varieties they are working on and for how long have they been working on. Based on the information I have in two years we could have a qualifying meet for splash in bantam and large fowl.

Michael

Blue Egg Acres

Splash Standards
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 09:59:02 PM »
Quote from: bantamhill
Christina:
 Based on the information I have in two years we could have a qualifying meet for splash in bantam and large fowl.

Michael

How exciting! Michael, thanks for going to the extra effort to organize this info.

Korfus Kluckers

Splash Standards
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 12:59:29 PM »
Thanks Micheal for looking. I hope the Splash does get in the Standard. I\'ll keep working on mine till then.

Blue Egg Acres

Splash Standards
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 03:43:57 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
qualifying meet(s).

Please remind me what makes a meet a qualifying meet

Quote from: Mike Gilbert
  I don\'t see them as much of a challenge to produce

IMO, having them recognized is a given - they already exist as a by-product of other recognized varieties   I personally think the splash wheatens are beautiful birds and many times have better type than the wheatens/blue wheatens. I can\'t comment much on the splashes, as I\'ve only seen a few females at shows and never a male.

Mike Gilbert

Splash Standards
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »
Keep in mind we are talking A.P.A., not A.B.A., and the A.P.A. currently recognizes NO splash or splash wheaten varieties.
The A.B.A. has always been more progressive and open to change, while the A.P.A. seems to be more interested in promoting the old time breeds and varieties.  The fact that they are not much of a challenge to produce, I think, works against us insofar as A.P.A. recognition is concerned.   Do others of you see it differently?

Tailfeathers

Splash Standards
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 09:47:11 PM »
Hi Everybody!

I just happened to stop by the site tonight and saw the post.  Wanted to let y\'all know that I\'ll be working on Spash Wheatens as I have Blue Wheaten and Wheatens and I think the Splash Wheaten Rooster is an absolutely BEE-U-TEE-FULL bird!

It\'s gonna be about 5 years though before I can say I\'ve been breeding for 5 years.  

I\'m taking a Trio of Blue Wheatens and a Trio of Wheatens to the Evergreen State Fair tomorrow.  It will be the first time I\'ve shown my Ameraucanas.  I\'m gonna look all the birds over really good one more time tonight but I think I\'ve got the best three of each picked out.  I\'m still a novice but I\'m gonna do my best to represent the breed and variety.  

God Bless,

Splash Standards
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 06:51:37 PM »
Tailfeathers, Good for you helping expose more people to quality Ameraucanas! Best wishes--Let us know how they do.
:)