Author Topic: when do ameraucana pullets get their combs? and other qu\'s  (Read 4330 times)

when do ameraucana pullets get their combs? and other qu\'s
« on: September 19, 2005, 06:43:05 PM »
I have two 4-5 month old ameraucana pulets with no signs of combs, just wondering when this grows.  I also have a silkie around the same age without a visable comb- though one may be hiding in all that fluff.  I have only had them under a week, so I haven\'t been able to handle them yet...
I have given them lots of fruits and veggies to try, but they don\'t even peck at anything that isnt a grape, tomato or a red wiggler worm (their favorite!).  Do they tend to like more foods as they get older?  I\'d love be able to feed them some scraps.
Thanks for reading some newbie questions

bantamhill

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 07:14:14 PM »
Ameraucana pullets and hens have very small combs and depending on the variety(color) it may be hardly noticable. I wouldn\'t panic about comb development . . . the muff and beard are much more important in the Ameraucana.

Depending on their previous food experiences they may be loath to try new foods until hungry! As with people you will find that fowl have favorite foods.

Welcome to the group!

Michael

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 10:30:37 PM »
Thank you.  I have noticed their little combs, I think they have grown in the last month (they\'re now about 5 months old).  

I see that you are right, they LOVE grapes and redworms, bits of spagetti and if I grate them/ mince them, other veggies.  They still don\'t know what to do with a saucer of milk (except walk in it :)), and it took them all day to get the idea to peck at an apple core.  At first they avoided it...

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Isa

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 06:22:52 PM »
The combs are a great way to sex the young Ameraucana\'s. The females have such tiny combs...the cockerels seem to get red larger combs pretty early. My females don\'t seem to have any comb growth until about the time they start laying...