Author Topic: Lyne\'s black gold blog  (Read 2829 times)

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
Lyne\'s black gold blog
« on: December 20, 2008, 06:52:41 PM »
I have youngsters from my lighter roo and I was surprised to get cockerels that were the very light straw that Mike called lemon in my large fowl project.  These cockerels are obviously all bantam, so there was no sneaking around in the pens by the LF roo!  I also got a white pullet which I was sort of expecting because the roo carried dominant white.

Why is it called dominant white if it can be carried recessively?
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Mike Gilbert

Lyne\'s black gold blog
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 08:56:08 PM »
\"Why is it called dominant white if it can be carried recessively?\"

Why do you think it IS dominant white?   Do you have a picture of the parent bird you feel carries that gene?

The cockerels appear to be split between sex linked silver and gold?    Or do you have some other factor, such as cream (ig), in these birds now?

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Lyne\'s black gold blog
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 02:10:42 AM »
Mike, I thought you told me the roo I got from you carried dominant white.  I do believe the white pullet is from your roo.  She might be creamy, or just dirty or in bad lighting.  I didn\'t think she was creamy when I held her, but her skin was very pale.

I got a lot of cream when I crossed with buff in the large fowl, so it wouldn\'t surprise me if I got cream from crossing the bantams to John\'s buff bantam cockerel trying to get the lighter color.  The chicks I got from the buff cross were black and dark buff (light red) with black feathers.

I better keep them all to figure out if they are carrying something good.  (sigh) ... more culling.  I haven\'t run out of pet homes yet, but there has to be a limit soon.

I did cross my black gold bantam hens with the buff LF a year or so ago, but all those chicks went into the large fowl flock.  The 3rd generation from that cross got me a few pretty good LF birds.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Mike Gilbert

Lyne\'s black gold blog
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 08:39:18 AM »
Dominant white eliminates black feathers but not the red ones.   It is the gene used to make the red pyle pattern, and I believe buff laced Polish carry it.   So if your parent birds had black feathers they did not carry it.    The bird you got from me carried recessive white, and it has to be inherited from both parents for the offspring to be an all white bird.

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Lyne\'s black gold blog
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 11:40:07 AM »
Thanks.  It makes a lot more sense now.  I think I already did have recessive white is some of my birds, so the white is could be explained.  The lemony color was still a very big surprise.  I will probably keep one of the cockerels to see where it will go.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California