Author Topic: Aggressive cockerel what to do  (Read 12509 times)

Aggressive cockerel what to do
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:23:31 PM »
I have a 9 month old White cockerel that is getting really aggressive. He\'s attacked twice a barred rock hen I have. This hen for some reason has never laid eggs and won\'t let roosters get near her. This cockerel has attacked her really bad twice (once right before I left, and then again today). I am currently out of town on vacation (will be back on Tues) and someone is taking care of them for me. However, when I get home something will need to be done w/ him. Either he will be dinner or needs to go to a new home asap. What would you guys do in this situation? I have seen him mount other hens and he\'s not very nice about it. Other than being really nasty to this hen he\'s fine w/ everyone else. I have a Buff Orp rooster that apparently today was trying to protect the hen this guy was attacking.

Any suggestions as to what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kim

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:01:51 PM »
I would not keep the cockerel.  There are lots of reasons that a youngster might act badly, but I accept no excuses for temperment in my breeders.  I do not want a bunch of mean roosters in the future generations.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

bantamhill

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:08:10 PM »
I agree. If he is not behaving I would dispose of him.

I once had a valuable cock that was aggressive that I did break of the habit by isolating him away from all other birds for about a month. This allowed the pecking order to be established without him. I then introduced him to the group again and things were better.

If he is not valuable I would get rid of him.

Michael

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:58:53 PM »
I would have to know what you mean by \"attack.\"   Is it just the one hen?    Has he ever attacked another chicken or a human?    If it is just the one nonproductive hen, my vote is to get rid of the nonproducer - especially if this rooster is breeding quality or better.      Really good breeding stock does not grow on trees.    Now if he was a man hater (or woman hater) my advice would be altogether different.   Shoot, not even us humans can all get along, now can we?
So why should we expect better behaviour from supposedly dumb animals?

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:32:29 AM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
I would have to know what you mean by \"attack.\"   Is it just the one hen?    Has he ever attacked another chicken or a human?    If it is just the one nonproductive hen, my vote is to get rid of the nonproducer - especially if this rooster is breeding quality or better.      Really good breeding stock does not grow on trees.    Now if he was a man hater (or woman hater) my advice would be altogether different.   Shoot, not even us humans can all get along, now can we?
So why should we expect better behaviour from supposedly dumb animals?

What I mean by attack is over half her feathers on her head are now missing and it was all bloody. Mostly surface bleeding nothing was really gouged. Plus her feathers where hens feathers normally go missing during breeding are literally gone. It\'s like she almost needs something on her back now to protect that area.

Has he ever attacked another chicken or a human? Now if he was a man hater (or woman hater) my advice would be altogether different.  

As far as I know he hasn\'t attacked another chicken except this one. But when breeding w/ them he is a bit on the rough side. As far as I know he has never attacked any ppl. I am the main person who feeds and put all my chickens away at night and he has never attacked me. If that were to happen he would be gone like that.

I have a photo of him about a month ago but it\'s really tiny. I will try to get a current one in the next few days and post it and you guys w/ more experience can let me know if you think he\'s of breeder quality.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 05:55:28 PM »
You can indeed put something on the hen\'s back to protect her while she regrows feathers--It\'s called a \'chicken saddle\'. You can buy them at a few places on the web. There are some great, inexpensive ones posted at http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=115218&p=1. They saddles REALLY help.

Here\'s some info I wrote in another post about aggressiveness in roosters. I used the hobbling technique on our top show-quality roo who\'d been ganging up on a certain roo, and it permanently cured him so we were able to keep him.
----------------------------------------
If the \"mean-ness\" is a rooster problem toward roosters, you can use tape or something to hobble his lower legs together with just enough length that he can walk but not jump up & spur or run really fast. When you put him down, the other chickens sense he is handicapped and generally dive at him (**You MUST stay there to supervise and make sure things don\'t get TOO rough on him**). Less than a minute of this may get a rooster humbled enough that he never bullies again. Do NOT let it go on longer than 1 minute.
I\'m not sure how this would work with correcting aggression toward hens. I imagine you\'d be likely to need more than 1 min of hobbling because they\'d probably not be as driven to attack him??? I would DEFINITELY separate the other roo while putting the hobbled roo with the hens--otherwise the other roo would take the opportunity to attack him & the hens wouldn\'t even be part of the interaction.
It can take rooster that was hobbled 2-3 weeks to feel confident enough to hang out comfortably with the others again.
BE CAREFUL WITH THIS TECHNIQUE! Even a little too much time at other chickens\' mercy can be very detrimental to thrashee\'s self-confidence. I think it would be better to do too short of a hobbling session, if in doubt, and then do a second session if needed a couple weeks later.