Author Topic: Size of Large Fowl  (Read 2651 times)

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Size of Large Fowl
« on: February 07, 2009, 08:07:27 PM »
Could someone tell me how many points do you loose if your birds are over the weight that is required for the standards for Large fowl in an APA show?  Thank you,  Harry

Sorry for the question.  I found it in the APA standards book.
Harry Shaffer

Mike Gilbert

Size of Large Fowl
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:44:23 PM »
The A.P.A. allows up to 20% deviation from standard weights.
Therefore, if standard weight is five pounds, the bird should not be disqualified if it weighs anywhere from four to six pounds.    Does that answer your question?   See the standard for actual Ameraucana standard weights.

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Size of Large Fowl
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 10:45:15 PM »
Mike,
   Thanks for that information.  I did not see that in the APA must have missed it.  I did see 2 points for the 1st pound and 2 points for each additional 1/2 pounds after that for the weight deviations.  I didn\'t know they could be disqualified for being overweight.  
Harry Shaffer

grisaboy

Size of Large Fowl
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 05:06:42 PM »
I have never seen a scale used at a poultry show so it is unlikely that a bird would ever be DQ\'d for weight deviations.  Unless they weighed every bird in the show, you would have a pretty good case to dispute the DQ.  If they did weigh all of the birds my guess is that a large number of bantams would be DQ\'d for being overweight, and a lot of LF birds would be DQ\'d for being underweight.  I have seen comments on show cards that say \'Too Big\' or \'Too Small\' but these are purely subjective comments since the judges are not using scales.  
That said, we as breeders should strive to get our birds as close to the standard weight as possible.  If you have overweight Ameraucanas you are probably on the right track as I think most LF Ameraucanas are still a bit underweight.

Curtis