Author Topic: Egg Weights for LF  (Read 2756 times)

QUADCH

Egg Weights for LF
« on: March 06, 2010, 09:16:30 PM »
I was wondering if anyone is weighing their Large fowl eggs and what weights are you getting?
Lori

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Egg Weights for LF
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 02:39:02 PM »
Mine generally start out laying between a 1.4 to 1.6 oz egg for their first eggs.

They usually move up to 1.7 to 1.8 oz and the older birds (over 2) usually lay 2.0 oz eggs.

The breed standard calls for a medium egg which according to the USDA is 1.75 oz.
Jean

Mike Gilbert

Egg Weights for LF
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 05:21:22 PM »
Quote from: Jean
The breed standard calls for a medium egg which according to the USDA is 1.75 oz.

Jean, where in the standard is that stated?   I don\'t see it in mine.    We would all do well to pay attention to not only egg size, but also rate of production.   Our birds would be even more popular if they laid a large number of large or better sized eggs.   And always blue of course.
The other thing I have started doing is actually weighing the birds themselves to make sure they are not too much under standard weight, more than that if possible.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Egg Weights for LF
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 10:25:52 PM »
I read it somewhere.......

I will try to find out where I read it.

I weighed my split lavender pullets this weekend and it wasn\'t pretty. :(
Jean

QUADCH

Egg Weights for LF
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:42:02 AM »
That is just about where mine are too Jean. I\'m making a concentrated effort to increase egg size and production. Problems I\'ve run into are my bigger eggs are more green than blue. The other problem is now the two best males I kept from the biggest eggs last year have developed faults I don\'t like... Sigh. I\'m still going to use the one because I know his pedigree and I don\'t want to start with unknown genes.

Just a work in progress I guess....

Thanks for the input.

John

Egg Weights for LF
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 02:02:11 PM »
a work in progress

Ain\'t that the truth!  Some of us have used that expression for decades, yet others still think Rome was built in a day.

Tailfeathers

Egg Weights for LF
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 11:18:36 PM »
Hi Everyone!

As you can tell, I\'m not exactly a \"regular\" here but it\'s good to see y\'all.

I\'m so glad to read the comments thus far.  My largest eggs are at least 2 ounces and sometimes reach 2.2 ounces.  Most hens are laying right around there or slightly under 2 ounces.

I got two pullets that just started laying.  One is laying a 1.4 to 1.45 ounce egg and is a nice blue.  Yesterday I got a pure white egg and I just measured it at 1.37 ounces.  I know it\'s an Ameraucana egg.  I\'m hoping it\'s a fluke for the initial egg and I start seeing some blue - otherwise she\'s a Goner.

I would just like to end by echoing Mike\'s comments.  I am REALLY disappointed with the egg production of my birds this year.  They won\'t be 2-years old until April so it\'s not an age issue.  And I\'ve commented on this elsewhere in the Forum so I won\'t beat a dead horse but rest assured that egg size and production is a MAJOR consideration in my breeding program now.

God Bless,