Author Topic: Fertility  (Read 6719 times)

John

Fertility
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 09:35:20 AM »
giving chick starter to breeders

I had concerns that the Game Bird feed didn\'t have amino acids (Lysine, etc.) that all the chicken feed do.  With these additives less overall protein is needed because they make it more effective.  Feed formulas have changed a lot and continue to due to the different amino acids that are added.  This year I mixed the 20% starter/grower with the 18% game bird breeder just to make sure the birds were getting all the amino acids, vitamins and minerals listed on the label under \"Guaranteed Analysis\".  
A friend and I buy 3 tons of feed together and are getting ready to order so I called Kalmbach to ask what feed they recommend and let them know of my concerns.  It turns out the game bird breeder has the amino acids in it.  They just aren\'t listed because the law doesn\'t require them to be on game bird feed...only chicken feed...different regulations.
I\'ll go back to using 100% game bird breeder during the hatching season.  

Fertility
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 08:04:26 PM »
I tried to look all around in my area for the Game Bird Breeder formula that Mike uses and can\'t get it down here. ADM does put out a Pen Pals balance (20% protein) that is to be mixed with scratch grains - I use the black rooster mix though. They carry the game bird feed here, just not the right kind (I think all but that, LOL).

cedarpondfarm

Fertility
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 07:23:16 AM »
Zachsmamaw, the brand of feed probably won\'t matter as long as it is game bird breeder.  Purina is found all over the country and they sell it.  You can email the parent company and they will direct you to a local dealer.  Since you are in the southeast, you probably have a Flint River Mills (FRM) dealer in your area too.

Fertility
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 09:54:47 AM »
I was using the game bird breeder...just not Layena. I\'ve tried all the feed mills around and TSC but no one will carry it. It\'s very frustrating actually. This is cattle and commercial poultry country. I\'m looking into getting a special mixture made but I would still have to travel down to Little Rock once a month. Not sure if the budget will allow? Just depends....
:)

Fertility
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 09:55:46 AM »
I will look into the FRM dealers...thanks