Author Topic: ABC National egg contest  (Read 3205 times)

ABC National egg contest
« on: October 21, 2010, 01:26:23 PM »
Hi, Does anyone know how many eggs you need to bring for the ABC national egg contest? Do you need to bring a basket or somthing to put them in? Any info would be great. :D

John

ABC National egg contest
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 01:55:08 PM »
Good question.
I believe 6 are required per entry.  There are 4 classes; LF hen, LF pullet, bantam hen and bantam pullet.  So, you could have 4 entries.  They\'ve asked for the variety that the eggs came from also at past shows, but I didn\'t know and that didn\'t disqualify them.  You can put them in a little basket or other cute display, but I don\'t thing that counts for any points.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
ABC National egg contest
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 02:04:01 PM »
At previous egg contests the number of eggs has been  6 eggs.

If you have a basket or another container to put the eggs in.

Sometimes they have extra baskets or use a paper plate to display the eggs.

Paul Smith

John

ABC National egg contest
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 02:04:11 PM »
I just found the regs...
...presented in a suitable container of the entrant\'s choice.
You may enter the same class more than once only if each entry represents a different variety.  So, either enter them as \"Various\" or by the variety and class.
Judging categories are...
Shell Texture
Shell Quality
Shell Shape
Size
Cleanliness
Shell Color
Freshness
Interior Qualities
All are worth 10 points each, accept color is worth 30 for a possible total of 100.

eliz

ABC National egg contest
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 01:25:05 PM »
HI, does anyone know if PH, feed type, free range/caged etc affects egg coloration? eliz

Mike Gilbert

ABC National egg contest
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 04:39:29 PM »
Quote from: eliz
HI, does anyone know if PH, feed type, free range/caged etc affects egg coloration? eliz

There is a theory floating around that feeds high in copper content will make for a better colored egg shell.   If you are asking about interior qualities, certainly feed makes a difference.   Free ranging chickens with access to grass, bugs, and sunshine will have brighter yolks than caged birds.