Author Topic: Splashes  (Read 31586 times)

Mike Gilbert

Splashes
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2012, 09:31:29 AM »
Yes, streaked horn would be my preference, but my voice is only one among many so it matters little.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Splashes
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »
Mike,

That opens up another whole can of worms.....

HORN:  A broad term commonly used in describing various shadings of color in the beak of some breeds of fowl, .....

What color is horn?  I have seen black horns, brown horns, silvery white horns, greyish white horns and carmel looking horns on cattle.

I have also seen all these colors on ameraucanas beaks.  Why are some of these terms so broad?????????

Looking at the beaks on my four splash birds outside in the breeding pen, I see streaked, I see splotchy and I see a silvery white with blue undertones.
Jean

Mike Gilbert

Splashes
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »
Quote from: Jean
HORN:  A broad term commonly used in describing various shadings of color in the beak of some breeds of fowl, .....

What color is horn?  I have seen black horns, brown horns, silvery white horns, greyish white horns and carmel looking horns on cattle.

I think of \"horn\" as kind of an ivory color - an off white to very light tan/gray.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Splashes
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2012, 08:27:03 PM »
The ABA definition of Horn:   .....ivory tinged gray of low saturation and low brilliance.  
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9