Author Topic: Splashes  (Read 31720 times)

Birch Run Farm

Splashes
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2012, 06:05:17 PM »
I\'m all for all of the splashes as well.  

I have BW and wheaten birds. The splashes are really beautiful, since they breed \'true\' they should be allowed!!!!

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
Splashes
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2012, 05:40:57 PM »
Any new word on Splashes being recognized? Are we just waiting on a particular person/people to make up their mind or any other issues that may be holding up a decision? Just curious.
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Mike Gilbert

Splashes
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »
Maybe we should do a survey as to who would be willing to show splashes, large and/or bantam, at the APA National Meet in Lucasville, Ohio, this October.  We could designate it as a qualifying meet.    I should be able to show pullets and cockerels in bantams, but no large fowl.  I would qualify for the five year rule.

Tailfeathers

Splashes
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2012, 10:35:13 PM »
I would be willing to show LF SW but I won\'t qualify for the 5-year rule until next year.

God Bless,

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
Splashes
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2012, 09:13:28 PM »
I could probably take and show a pullet and cockerel, and maybe even a hen, but I wouldn\'t qualify for the 5-year rule either. What is necessary for that show to count as a qualifying meet?

Sharon
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

FLFAmeraucanas

Splashes
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »
I am saving every splash I hatch to grow out, and that show isn\'t to far from us, so I should be able to help.  How do they count being a breeder for 5 years?  I mean, I hatched my first splash out from shipped eggs about 4.5 years ago, and have had a few around ever since.  In fact, I still have that hen, she is a personal favorite. Would that count?  Is there some sort of special paper work?

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Splashes
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2012, 11:11:51 PM »
We might be able to contribute a few splash bantams and Maybe a few SW LF if all goes well.  Lucasville is usually a great show, though we have not been in several years.  We can not help with the 5 year history though.

BTW, we are new to the forum although have been reading and trying to learn what we can.      
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Splashes
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2012, 10:05:12 AM »
Paperwork on this subject still has to be fileld out and a membership check needs to be done to see if we have the five breeders for five years on both the LF and bantam.

The show will be chosen by the APA and ABA if I remember correctly.

At this time it looks like we may be waiting another year on the lavenders because of the breeder requirements.

This is kind of a long process, so don\'t jump the gun.

The other thing I would like to point out that was pointed out to me is that the lavenders are not being shown.  If you breed lavenders please show them!!!!!!!
Jean

Beth C

Splashes
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2012, 01:02:54 PM »
Hi Don! Glad to see you posting!

Quote from: FLFAmeraucanas
How do they count being a breeder for 5 years?  I mean, I hatched my first splash out from shipped eggs about 4.5 years ago, and have had a few around ever since.

Good point - if you started with eggs or chicks, you acquired the variety 6 months to a year before you were actually breeding them. Wouldn\'t make a difference in my case, but for some it might.

bantamhill

Splashes
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2012, 03:34:48 PM »
On the membership form I have switched to tracking pending varieties by first year raised. I have requested folks check that information and update it. When the decision is made to go for a qualifying meet we will go through the certification process for 5 breeders for 5 years. In the meantime folks need to be showing splash!!!!!!

Michael

WhichCame1st

Splashes
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2012, 02:03:18 PM »
I joined ABC last year but was pretty inactive. I have recently joined again this year and hope to be more active for the remainder of this year.

I\'ve scanned through this thread and could not find anything regarding what to expect for a splash standard to work toward. I am not in a position to help much (as we do not have shows near us & we cannot travel + I have not been breeding for 5 years); however, I would very much like to see the splash accepted & to start breeding toward the expected standard if at all possible.

How can I find out what tentative standard to work toward? Color of plumage, beak, legs, eyes, etc.? Disqualifying colors?

Mike Gilbert

Splashes
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2012, 03:48:44 PM »
Have you checked out the color descriptions for other breeds in which splash is already recognized?   I believe the Ameraucana standard for splash would have to be either very similar or identical.   The splash description should be in almost any ABA Standard, and even the APA has recognized splash Silkies since the year 2000.

WhichCame1st

Splashes
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2012, 09:15:15 PM »
So, I\'ve checked the APA SOP for Bearded Splash Silkie, pg 309 (don\'t have the ABA SOP). Is this what everyone is attempting to breed for in the Splash Ameraucana...??
Beak: leaden blue to black
Shanks & Toes: slaty blue, nails: horn to black
Plumage: slaty blue & white that has a faint bluish gray tinge. Blue in the feathers in the form of large irregular shaped blobs as distinct from V-shaped ticking. Main tail feathers & primary wing feathers with a lesser amount of blue than the rest of the plumage.
Undercolor of all sections: slaty blue & sooty white evenly distributed.

I\'m assuming the other attributes listed would not apply since they seem specific to the Silkie breed rather than Ameraucana (i.e., dark comb/wattle & skin color)

Mike Gilbert

Splashes
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »
Other than the beak, it seems reasonable.  When the time comes I\'m pretty sure the ABC Board of Directors will develop a standard based on what they are seeing in the best Ameraucana splashes at the shows.  Until then, the existing SOP and personal preferences is all we have to go by.  Without checking I believe the ABA Standard gives a better, more detailed description, as they do for most color varieties.  

WhichCame1st

Splashes
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2012, 12:53:59 AM »
Thanks, Mike ~ so I\'m guessing your preference would be horn for beak color?