Author Topic: First chicks for the 2011 season  (Read 3182 times)

faith valley

First chicks for the 2011 season
« on: December 12, 2010, 07:11:18 PM »
Our first batch of winter chicks hatched out. It was a small group of 7 chicks- 3 white bantams and 4 wheaten bantams.

Now to sit down and build up the nerve to do the Merek\'s vaccine.... Kind of decided to split the vaccine in half or fourths to keep costs down a bit.  Any advice in whether to just cut the wafer into portions or is it better to grind the wafer into powder and then cut it into portions for a better mix of the vaccine throughout the powder?

Any other last minute advice is appreciated..  :  )

Patty

John

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 07:57:01 PM »
just cut the wafer into portions

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 07:57:12 PM »
Patty, I have a thin, narrow bladed knife that I can cut the wafer into fourths right in the bottle without removing it.  It\'s a little tricky shaking out the quarter portions, but it can be done.   My first hatch came off Wednesday, and includes eight wheaten and blue wheaten bantams, one blue bantam, three LF Brown Reds, and some Chanteclers.   There will be another hatch this Wednesday, then I\'m shutting it down for awhile.

faith valley

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 08:06:50 PM »
Thanks, guys- I will try to cut the waffer right in the bottle then.

Mike, sounds like you got a nice hatch. I think we will probably keep our incubator running for a while; I like to get the ameraucanas hatched before the call ducks start in.

FYI- The black gold pullet has laid 4 eggs so far- hope that we will see fertility in this week\'s eggs from her. Sure is a pretty variety.

Patty  

John

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:43:38 PM »
a thin, narrow bladed knife

Sounds like an Exacto Knife.

Anne Foley

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 09:45:31 PM »
Hi there!  Moisture deactivates the vaccine.  That is why it is in a vacuum sealed container.  You cut and save at your own risk.  We used to do it too until we had a problem and then this was explained to us.  Now we only hatch bigger batches to make the most of the vaccine.  Sometimes we also coordinate hatches with another breeder who lives nearby.  Apparently, any storage temperatures higher than that stated on the manufacturers instruction sheet can also cause a reduction in efficacy.  We were told to toss any vaccine stored several days at room temperature.  I believe that all sellers send the vaccine with cold packs for this reason.  I am sure that some people have had success with cutting but I just want to warn you about the risks so you can weigh the options.

faith valley

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 12:14:26 AM »
Lots of great advice.  

We went ahead and vaccinated them - they are all still alive so guess we didn\'t mess it up too badly for our first time. Only time will tell;  we shall see what morning brings. LOL

Patty