Author Topic: Sunday Morning  (Read 7845 times)

Mike Gilbert

Sunday Morning
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »
24 below zero here this morning.   Will have to collect eggs often to keep the eggshells from breaking due to freezing.
When I was still working we just threw them out.

dak

Sunday Morning
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 12:25:03 PM »
How are your LF Brown-Reds laying?  I\'m a fan.  ;)

Mike Gilbert

Sunday Morning
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 03:08:07 PM »
dak, the Brown Red LF were so popular this year, I only have two trios left to breed from.    The two largest pullets are laying very well, the other pullet layed earlier but has quit, and the one hen remaining  is growing her feathers back after a molt.  She has been a terrific layer of nice blue eggs, and is the mother of the cockerel I have been using.  I do have a few brown red chicks out, with another small batch due out tomorrow.   I didn\'t keep too many to breed from this year, as I am outcrossing to that black pullet of Jim Fegan\'s that took BB at the national meet this year - to increase size primarily, but her type won\'t hurt either.   And I kept my old male as he has great coloring and is a proven breeder - just undersized.   At one point we crossed in bantam blood to improve coloring, and it takes time to bring the size back.

Beth C

Sunday Morning
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »
24 below zero here this morning. Will have to collect eggs often to keep the eggshells from breaking due to freezing.
When I was still working we just threw them out.

No where near THAT cold here, but below freezing, coldest Dec. I\'ve seen since I\'ve been here (12 years), and this morning I walked out to find 4 frozen eggs. Last year they didn\'t start until Jan., year before it was Feb. - I swear, these things are aiming for the coldest days possible!