Author Topic: Pictures of my lavenders  (Read 10473 times)

crystalcreek

Pictures of my lavenders
« on: December 15, 2010, 08:38:27 AM »
I wanted to share some pictures of my lavenders at six months of age.  I don\'t have a program to compress the photos, so in order to post them here I have to make the viewable size pretty small because my camera settings are always on \"FINE\" and my files are huge.  Anyway, here they are.  I culled down to three males and 4 females.  At six months, my pullets weighed 4lb 3 oz, 4lb 0 oz, 3 lb 14 oz, and 3 lb 4oz.  My cockerels at six months weighed 5lb 3 oz, 4lb 15 oz, and 4 lb 12 oz.  

I have them in two pens with four black or split Ribbeck pullets in one pen and 5 black pullets from Paul Smith in the other to improve type, feather quality, egg color, etc.  

Got my first eggs starting at 27 1/2 weeks.  The 4lb 3 oz pullet lays a large egg almost every day.

I obtained my stock from Harold Shaffer and have a few Blehm chicks coming this spring.

I really like the temperaments on these guys.  They follow me around like puppies and the cockerels are very nice.  My largest cockerel was taken by a fox, but escaped.  He was missing half his feathers and had a couple of cuts and lots of bruising.  He sat in my lap and let me doctor him up without complaint every day for two weeks.  He\'s a really neat bird.  I am certain he would not have escaped the fox if he had not been so big.  

I have eggs in the incubator now and am hoping for some great chicks this season.  

Still have a long way to go, but I think it\'s a nice start.

Mike Gilbert

Pictures of my lavenders
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:04:17 AM »
You indeed have a good start.  Nice full bodies on those birds.
One thing I could not make out by the photos is eye color, how is that?

crystalcreek

Pictures of my lavenders
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:27:39 AM »
This is in the sun; if someone could post a picture of ideal eye color I will try to compare.  

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
Pictures of my lavenders
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 10:05:51 AM »
Nice!  I would love to use the photo of the pair, I think the number ended 672.  Gorgeous shot.  Maybe it can be posted as a new variety on the ABC website.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

crystalcreek

Pictures of my lavenders
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:52:08 PM »
Quote from: bryngyld
Nice!  I would love to use the photo of the pair, I think the number ended 672.  Gorgeous shot.  Maybe it can be posted as a new variety on the ABC website.

Thank you!  I don\'t mind if you use of the photo for the ABC site.  I can email the original file if you want?  I had to really shrink these to post them here.

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
Pictures of my lavenders
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 01:41:04 PM »
Not to me.  I\'m not a guru or webmaster.  I just highly recommend it... and love it.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Pictures of my lavenders
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »
Crystal,
   Very happy that you hatch some nice birds with potential.  I am also happy that several people I sold hatching eggs to joined the club and they also got some blacks from other sources to improve them.  Good luck everyone.   Harry
Harry Shaffer

dak

Pictures of my lavenders
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:51:10 PM »
Harry, you have been helpful to many of us.  4 of my 6 pullets from you are laying at just over 6 months of age.  Mine are also very calm and friendly.  Much more so than the black/blue pen.

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Pictures of my lavenders
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 10:29:45 PM »
Dak,
   That is great they started to lay for you so soon.  I still have younger pullets than that and hope they will start by Mar 2011.  Mine are too friendly because I am afraid I will step on their legs and brake them.  They are always under my feet.  Good luck this season and hope you hatch many, many chicks.  
Harry Shaffer

Beth C

Pictures of my lavenders
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 10:02:38 AM »
I have 4 pullets and 2 cockerels from you as well, and I agree, out of the 5 varieties that I have, they are calmer and more personable than any of my other birds. Mine haven\'t started laying yet, but I have a wheaten and one layer who started this week, so hopefully it won\'t be much longer!

crystalcreek

Pictures of my lavenders
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 11:39:25 AM »
My lavs have a May 7 hatch date. My first F1 hatched this morning!  Parents are this pair, specifically the pullet on the right.  

dak

Pictures of my lavenders
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 12:42:03 PM »
Yea chickies!!!! I had a lav hatch this morning too from my big LS boy and Jean\'s lav pullet.

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Pictures of my lavenders
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »
Wow,
  Crystal and Dak you both are off to a good start.  I really like my broodies to take care of the chicks.  I am starting to save some eggs but that means I have to keep them inside till Mar.  I hope you both have some luck with this hatch.  You will be ready for all the fall shows coming up in 2011,
Harry Shaffer

John

Pictures of my lavenders
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 01:15:18 PM »

ready for all the fall shows coming up in 2011

Harry,
Will you be at Indy?  It would be nice to meet you in person.

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Pictures of my lavenders
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 01:34:53 PM »
John,
   Right now I have no one who will take care of my birds if I go away.  I may have someone to put some birds in for me though if I am lucky.  My father does not live that far from Indy but the issue is taking care of what is at my home.  I am hoping to hatch early and cull early then maybe I can cut back to the bear minimum where there would be enough water(if not freezing at that time) and feed for several days.  
Harry Shaffer