Author Topic: female wheaten tail color  (Read 3215 times)

Blue Egg Acres

female wheaten tail color
« on: February 14, 2011, 01:38:38 PM »
I have had some wheaten/blue wheaten females with gorgeous tail color in their first year but after they molt and feather out going into the second breeding season they have very little black/blue. What\'s up with that?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:33:20 PM »
Barb, that is common.   The tan color also lightens up.  It\'s why I don\'t like to use wheaten or blue wheaten pullets as breeders in favor of two year old hens.  But you go with the best you have to work with, always striving for improvement.

Birch Run Farm

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 06:33:32 AM »
Mine have done that too.  I am curious how my group of 5-month-olds will look in the future as some have nice tail and wing color.  Their mother is very light this year and she is two.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 08:33:05 AM »
One thing I look for as an indicator in pullets\' propensity to retain decent tail and wing color in their second and subsequent years is to take a look at the undercolor on their backs.   A lot of good slate/gray undercolor in that area tends to indicate the propensity to retain good color in the tail and wings in later years.

Blue Egg Acres

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 10:43:20 AM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
One thing I look for as an indicator in pullets\' propensity to retain decent tail and wing color in their second and subsequent years is to take a look at the undercolor on their backs.   A lot of good slate/gray undercolor in that area tends to indicate the propensity to retain good color in the tail and wings in later years.

Thanks for that reminder Mike!

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 01:23:15 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert

I didn\'t know this, and now understand why when I was looking at my hens to see who were the older ones, I noticed one that was almost all cream colored, and thought to myself
gee, I don\'t remember having a splash hen....I guess she lost color then. This is all good info to know. Especially checking the under color of the back.  Sue