Author Topic: Can protein be too high for laying so the stop?  (Read 3317 times)

Can protein be too high for laying so the stop?
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:05:35 PM »
My Ameraucanas have always been my best layers.

I was feeding whole grains and supplimenting with fish meal & alfalfa meal, vitamins, etc.

I decided to change to a locally milled layer mash of 20% protein about 3 weeks ago.

Since I made the switch, my other breeds have started laying much better, but the Ameraucanas have literally stopped!

I don\'t know what to do. Any suggestions? Is 20 percent too high? I am confused....

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:30:45 PM »
I\'ve been feeding mine the 28% protein ration during the last few weeks while collecting eggs for hatching.  It has not affected their lay rate.  I would think something else is going on with yours.  Stress, a disease or light reduction perhaps?
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:48:35 AM »
I found one egg this morining, so maybe they are getting over it...

It might be the lights, I had them on longer and dropped them down since the daylight has lengtened, but  I didn\'t think that would affect them so drastically...

bantamhill

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:13:04 PM »
Hopefully, they will not go into a molt on you. I had that happen once. After that I did not mess with the lights until the days were at full light longer than the lights were on.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:56:21 PM »
I noticed that there are feathers everywhere, not just in the pens that I decreased the light...I have a couple of pens that the light is on all the time, and still feathers all over...it must be the change in food...strange. You\'d thing with the increase in protein, the feathers would be better, not falling out...I hope they are not molting...geesh.. don\'t think so, getting 2 eggs a day now from 5 hens.

John

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »
When I put the lights on each year I start with 10 hours and keep increasing it by 2 hour per week until I\'m up to 16.