Author Topic: It\'s time to start plans on the 2012 National  (Read 13880 times)

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
It\'s time to start plans on the 2012 National
« on: December 26, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »
I\'d appreciate input especially from potential exhibitors at the 2012 national which will be Oct. 27 at Sedalia, Missouri.

First, what do we want for awards this year?  My source for making the plaques is now retired and doesn\'t do any trophy work anymore.  We will have to totally start over.  Hopefully I\'ll be able to find someone in Denton or Sherman willing to make the brass plates and I\'ll do the wood and assembly work.  We still have some walnut lumber.  Aretha Mahan painted plates and mugs for the BV and RV respectfully.  Do we want the painted awards again this year?  If so I\'ll need to get Aretha started painting them.

Received a suggestion of having an Ameraucana seminar along with the National meet!  It could be a very good tool to help new comers in Ameraucanas and help others who are undecided-to come on in!  Any thoughts?

We will need motel accommodations for the ABC.  We used the Best Western near the state fairgrounds in 2005.  They even set-up a buffet dinner for us for Saturday night.  Any suggestions?

In the past the adjacent barn has been used as a sale barn for poultry.  Do we want to keep the Ameraucanas together as a group or scattered through out the barn?

Do we want to have an egg contest?  If so-any volunteers to run it?

An ABC table promoting the breed will also need to be run.

Anymore suggestions will be appreciated.

Paul Smith
Paul Smith

dixieland

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:26:59 AM »
Please sign us up to help with anything that you need.....

We say \"Yes\" to an egg contest...\"Yes\" to a seminar...

Just let us know how we can help you.....

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 11:20:27 AM »
Pictures of painted awards by Aretha Mahan

Paul Smith

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
Thanks Jes and David.
Paul Smith

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »
Paul, it\'s hard to beat those painted plates and mugs, but we have a lot of them and they do take up space.   Does she do goblets?  Are her prices about the same?  I think we should have an egg contest.   Since it is a one day show, I think maybe we should plan an outing for the night before, and then maybe another Saturday night for the awards ceremony.  I believe we were happy with the motel last time, but it will be seven years since the last time there.

dixieland

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 02:23:47 AM »
Those trophies are GORGEOUS!!

dixieland

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »
Hi Paul & Angela,

Is there information available for our host hotel at this point in time or are we still too early for that?

Thanks in advance!

bantamhill

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 08:47:34 PM »
The Muenks\' volunteer our place for an event if anyone would like to come out. We are about 45 minutes from Sedalia.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:33:52 PM »
Finally managed to get in touch with Areatha Mahan!  Their land line had been terminated.  Sent a letter with my phone number-hoping the mailing address was still the same.  We had a good conversation as I haven\'t seen her in over six years.

We need to decide what the club wants for our 2012 national awards!  We have several options using Areatha\'s artwork or somehting else.  Areatha still paints plates ($12); mugs ($8); goblets ($8), (8 X 10) hard back canvas (unframed $15 ) -(barn wood framed $25) , (12 X 16) hard back canvas (unframed $20 )- (barn wood framed $30 ).

I would appreciate input from as many as possible who are planning on showing at Sedalia, Missouri on Oct. 27!  

The first judging will be our national and the second judging will be the Missouri State Meet.

Thanks,
Paul Smith
Paul Smith

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 08:22:02 AM »
Paul, I like the goblets as they take up less room and still look very nice.  But of course I\'ll defer to whatever the consensus turns out to be.

dixieland

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »
I did a little bit of research on the current status of the Best Western at State Fair. It gets rave reviews most of the time, with only a few mediocre reviews here and there. The published rate on the web is $86.99 per night during the time our group would be going. The AARP discount brings it down to $78.99 per night         ( David is an AARP member, so I always check that out)

If you would like, I will put in a call to them and see if we can negotiate a better group rate...Just let me know..

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »
Paul:

My vote is for the mugs.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

dixieland

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 10:01:23 PM »
Quote from: far149
Paul:

My vote is for the mugs.

Mine too!

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 08:55:01 AM »
Do you have any pictures of a painted goblet? I\'m thinking they would be more unique, and depending on what they looked like, one might make a nice centerpiece for a table if it were surrounded by some greenery and a few small candles.

Just a thought.
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 09:42:49 AM »
Hi Jess,

That would be great!  We should need at least 15 rooms for Friday, Oct. 26.  A few may stay over Saturday night and leave on Sunday morning-at least John Blehm and Mike Gilbert did in 2005.

Sharon,
We do not have a photo of a painted goblet.  E-mailed Areatha to see if she had one if she does when we receive the e-mail we will post the photo.

Thanks,
Paul Smith
Paul Smith