Author Topic: Hatching egg prices?  (Read 6876 times)

Hatching egg prices?
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:05:44 AM »
Hi everyone, I need some advice. Someone is curantly wanting to buy hatching eggs and was wondering how i should handle it. What are your prices, minimum orders, extra eggs, shiping costs, ect. Any help would be greatful.... :)

faith valley

Hatching egg prices?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »
We sell our eggs for $40 for 6 eggs which does include shipping.  We try to always send 2 or 3 extra eggs if possible.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Hatching egg prices?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »
Boy, people around here won\'t even pay $2 for an egg.  I sold a few at $12 a dozen last year, but most wouldn\'t touch it.
One lady came back for more, but said she could only afford half that price and I gave in.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Mike Gilbert

Hatching egg prices?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »
I don\'t ship eggs, but I had a 4-H\'r and her mom come by last winter and pick up a half dozen hatching eggs.  I think I charged them $2 total, and felt guilty about that.   Long story short, this little gal hatched 5 of the 6 eggs in a homemade incubator, raised them up, and took champ large fowl at our local fair with a Brown Red Ameraucana pullet.  

Cloverleaf Farm

Hatching egg prices?
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 02:58:02 PM »
Mike, that\'s AWESOME!!!!

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Hatching egg prices?
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 06:42:29 PM »
Good for her!  I wouldn\'t hesitate to discount 4-H\'ers myself.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Schroeder

Hatching egg prices?
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 09:45:28 AM »
Based on Jensen\'s birds at Crossroads, I\'d thinking people would be lining up at her door for eggs!

Hatching egg prices?
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 10:40:59 AM »
Wow......that was quick..thanks so much everyone!!! :)

ParadiseFoundFarm

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Hatching egg prices?
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 07:11:34 PM »
Your birds are lovely and you PROVED IT at Indy.  You can name your price dear.  
Denise Baker
Paradise Found Farm
        Joliet, IL

Tailfeathers

Hatching egg prices?
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 10:53:37 PM »
I charge $48/dz and that includes shipping as well as 2-3 extra \"insurance\" eggs.  

Thus far folks have had good hatch rates with my shipped eggs.

God Bless,

Birch Run Farm

Hatching egg prices?
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 05:58:47 PM »
Great thread!

Beth C

Hatching egg prices?
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 06:30:47 PM »
I don\'t sell eggs much, but when I do I charge $20/dozen plus shipping, comes to roughly $35. If they pick them up they\'re $15, since I don\'t have to package them.

That said, as well as your birds did at Crossroads, don\'t sell your eggs for that!  ;)

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Hatching egg prices?
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 07:00:33 PM »
Beth C,
    That is a fair price for hatching eggs.  I charge the same $35 for a dozen shipped with extras.   The only problem is I had some killer Lavenders but a fox killed only the best.  Then after that I had my best chicks in one pen and a weasel killed them.  Nothing seems to kill the mediocre birds/chicks for some reason.  
    So this year I only have 12 birds to use.  Male Lavender and 3 splits which only one lays a very good color egg and the other two are minty green and a greyish color.  Luckily I have 3 of the old hens from the original male and a male black split from the original also.  4 pure blacks for next year and this year upgrading that I bought off of Will Kitsch who also had birds from breeders from the original blacks I had to upgrade my lavenders.  So eggs will be very scarce possibly here especially since the older hens go broody alot.   Extra eggs will possibly be on Ebay but I have plenty of incubator room to hatch them all if I have brooder space.  
Harry Shaffer

dak

Hatching egg prices?
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »
Sorry to hear that Harry.  There are enough of us who got our start in Lavs from you and would be happy to help if you want to go that route.

Clare

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Hatching egg prices?
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 10:07:08 PM »
Clare,
   Thank you very much for your offer.  I am in fine shape since I have 12 birds to work with.  I just will not be offering too many eggs or birds this year.   I generally don\'t offer birds unless they have some quality all the rest go to the auction hopefully to be soup and not put back into the breeding pool.  
Harry Shaffer