Author Topic: Blue Silver LF  (Read 22987 times)

Admhotel

Blue Silver LF
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 07:18:09 AM »
I have the first generation of blue silvers hatching now but I am a little confused. First to say, I only have the one blue hen in with a silver male so I know which eggs are hers and there is no fence jumping. I thought that the first generation would all be either blue or black. Some of the chicks that are hatching are coming out with the silver pattern. Not sure if they carry blue also or not but is this correct or am I getting lucky geneticly.

Mike Gilbert

Blue Silver LF
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 07:36:03 AM »
Your blue hen is not pure for E or E^R, but split for wild type (e+).   Lucky choice on that hen, it saved you a raising an extra generation in your project.   Congrats!

Admhotel

Blue Silver LF
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 09:21:15 AM »
So that is good for my Blue Silver project but not for my BBS lines :( Who should I contact to try to get some nice BBS eggs?

FLFAmeraucanas

Blue Silver LF
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »
Some new pics of some of my blue silvers.  Maybe some day it will be warmer then 20 degrees and windy when I take pictures of them.

This is my rooster, a hen, and a pullet.

I\'m really loving this color!

Mike Gilbert

Blue Silver LF
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 09:27:55 PM »
Nice, tight comb on that rooster.   How are they doing for temperament?   Flighty or calm?

Admhotel

Blue Silver LF
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 10:06:47 PM »
I really like the color on them :D
Mike, did you ever hatch any splash silvers? I wonder what they would like, or would they just be a washed out mess.

Mike Gilbert

Blue Silver LF
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 11:17:16 PM »
Quote from: Admhotel
I really like the color on them :D
Mike, did you ever hatch any splash silvers? I wonder what they would like, or would they just be a washed out mess.

No I never did, always crossed blue silver with silver.  I wouldn\'t think that splash silver would look like much.

FLFAmeraucanas

Blue Silver LF
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 11:18:34 PM »
Yes, I am hoping his comb stays this nice and doesn\'t explode.  His father came with him, and has a pretty nice comb too, so I\'m keeping my fingers crossed.  I have a second male with now where near as nice a comb, and a bunch of sons of his that seem to be following in his footsteps (floopy, crooked and not well defined), so this guy may get alot of use.

I\'d say they\'re not terribly flighty.  2 of the silver hens are the flightest of the bunch.  It took me two days to catch the one hen when she escaped after I vaccinated her (she was trapped in my barn, but kept hiding under the wagons).  Still no eggs yet, but they are also still in tiny pens waiting for my hubby to get my new coop off of our trailer. So they are probably alittle stressed.

Of course, I also spend most of my time playing with/handling the blue silvers.  I too am really like the color, especially on the cockerel!  I find myself prefering it to the normal silver males.

I wondered this too... I have these three birds in seperate pens so that I just get silver and blue silver, but also wondered about splash silver?  I was leaning towards \"washed out mess\"?  Any experience?

ETA
Never mind we were typing at the same time!

OldChurchEggery

Blue Silver LF
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 10:38:54 AM »
Those are really pretty. What did they look like as chicks?

Russ

Re: Blue Silver LF
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2012, 09:30:23 PM »
I just wondered how this project is going? For some unknown reason I am thinking next year I might want to play around with these. I have had a lot of nice silver chicks hatch this year (at least look real good as far as shafting), also like the Blues I hatched also, I just won't tell my wife yet  :-X

jerryse

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2012, 09:19:05 AM »
Here is a pic of a blue silver pullet of my own breeding.

Russ

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2012, 09:42:25 PM »
Sweet so someone is still working on these. How many other people are still working on them does any one know?????

Admhotel

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
Have not been on in a while but wanted to update on my Blue Silver project. I ended up keeping 1 BS roo and 3 BS hens. I plan on hatching more this spring. My roo has some red leakage so I will have to keep an eye on that and see how it is passed on to future generations. I guess that I what I get for using an unknown blue hen to start my project.

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 11:43:47 AM »
Thanks for giving us an update on your project! The silvers are my favorite of the varieties, so seeing a blue one is a treat.

Fyremare

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2013, 11:12:10 PM »
Hopefully I can post a few pics of my first attempt at the Blue Silver cross. I used two unknown blue hens. Might keep these for EE's as one of them the comb doesn't look like a pea comb. They are pretty girls, and one has a really nice beard and muff. Comments welcome!