Author Topic: Blue Silver LF  (Read 22992 times)

Russ

Re: Blue Silver LF
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2014, 08:17:16 PM »
Ok despite my wife's frustration I have gone and done it  :-\. My first generation of Silver Blues are on the ground  ;D. I have 4 Blue's from a Black cock over Silver hen's and am expecting another hatch in 4 days. The next hatch is mainly from a Silver cock over Blue hen's. I should keep all Blue pullets from this cross and put a Silver cock over them. My real question is this.........should I take the F2 pullets and put a Silver cock over them or breed F2 to F2 to try and keep pattern genes and all the other benefits the blues should bring to this cross? In my case size (Blue cock weighs just over 8lbs), egg color and lacing? Which I have been working on in my Blues. I realize breeding back to Silver will get me there quicker but just wondering if the benefits will be worth it? All feed back is welcome good and bad  ;)

Fyremare

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 10:30:16 PM »
Lost my best Blue Silver 2nd gen prospect to a coon attack this spring. Still plugging away at them, but gathering better known blue pullets to grow out and work with. First attempts were with unkowns.

Have had two major predator attacks this year, hence I am working on the pen area to fortify as well as make safe breeding/grow out areas for the birds. In some ways it has set me back (on my ass) and in other ways it has helped move me forward also.

Finally understanding that this color variety of Silver is seriously slow to mature. Hoping adding Blue to the mix will help bring back some blue in the egg as well as make some beautiful Blue Silver birds. I'm hooked!

Hope to see updates from others on their Blue Silver projects.

Chris

Lee G

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2014, 08:24:36 PM »
Predation plain old sucks. Sorry for your losses, Chris. And the worst of it is, the scoundrels always have impeccable taste and go for the best birds…or maybe they read the SOP now too. heh  :-\

Anyway, I’m glad to hear you are keeping on with the project, (and everyone else too) because I think the blue silvers are stunning to behold!
In fact, I’m excited because I may have inadvertently made some (or the means to make some) when I bred a silver cock over two splash hens. One of my original objectives was to make blue S/- based pullets, from which the best would be chosen to bring sex linked silver over to my blue/splash families, as well as improve overall feather quality in the line. The pure silver birds I have all have superior feathers to my other stock, and I’m pleased to see the F1 generation are already showing much better feather width/strength than their parents. One of the splash hens I used has somewhat brittle feathers, (she often looks ratty around the edges) but man, does she ever throw pullets with nice shape. If only they'd all gotten her tail too...Ah well. Rome wasn't built in a day.  ;)

The blue silver splits in the picture below are the splash hen's daughters. They range in age from 9 weeks up to 12 weeks.  They still have a lot of growing to do, but a couple are looking promising.

I love the silvery sheen to their feathers

I didn’t plan on getting hooked on silvers, but somehow they’ve become one of my favorite varieties over the last year. Add blue... beautiful, elusive blue; a colour so lovely when clean and even, yet so hard to achieve and maintain. Well, it just doesn’t get much better than that.  8)
I’m in.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 01:33:38 PM by Blue Hill Farm »
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Lee G

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2014, 08:30:22 PM »
Ok despite my wife's frustration I have gone and done it  :-\. My first generation of Silver Blues are on the ground  ;D. I have 4 Blue's from a Black cock over Silver hen's and am expecting another hatch in 4 days. The next hatch is mainly from a Silver cock over Blue hen's. I should keep all Blue pullets from this cross and put a Silver cock over them. My real question is this.........should I take the F2 pullets and put a Silver cock over them or breed F2 to F2 to try and keep pattern genes and all the other benefits the blues should bring to this cross? In my case size (Blue cock weighs just over 8lbs), egg color and lacing? Which I have been working on in my Blues. I realize breeding back to Silver will get me there quicker but just wondering if the benefits will be worth it? All feed back is welcome good and bad  ;)

Russ, I would try the cross both ways if space allows. It’s always interesting and informative to see how the genes mesh and recombine, and you can never be 100% percent certain what you'll get. I’d love to see your results sometime.  :)
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Fyremare

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2014, 09:33:50 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement Lee! Your pullets are gorgeous! Please keep us updated on their progress. It's nice to know others are working on this wonderful combination. You too Russ, let's have some pictures please!?!

Chris K

Lee G

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2014, 10:44:36 AM »
Thanks Chris, I will do that. I wish it were easier to share stock across the border, because I have plenty of extras too. Maybe one day.... ;)

Ya, bring on the pictures folks! We vant to see your birds!  :P