Author Topic: Laced Blue Ameraucana  (Read 92289 times)

Mike Gilbert

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2012, 11:45:50 AM »
Quote from: grisaboy
Quote from: John

I think they could drop the part about \"laced\", since it can\'t be done and still maintain the wheaten pattern...based on what is accepted genetic science as of today.

Here is another link.
http://www.greenerpasturesfarm.com/ameraucanachickens.html
Check out the cockerel about halfway down the page.
Looks like someone has gotten pretty close to acheiving the impossible (based on accepted genetic science).

Curtis

I knew that type of breast coloring was possible on a blue wheaten male, because I\'ve seen it in the bantams.   Very nice.   And it provides another good argument as to why we need more work on the existing varieties instead of going off in about 20 different directions.  Can you imagine a class of about ten cockerels at a show that look like this one, only mature?   Wow!

Mike Gilbert

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2012, 11:50:57 AM »

Here is another site to check out.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Brahma/BRKBrahma.html

This is the Brahma page from Feathersite.
Lots of impressive birds with various laced and columbian pattern birds.
There are two beautiful blue colmbian hens down toward the bottom of the page.  Especially check out the pattern on the hackles.  What would be the genetic make up of these birds?
My guess would be e^b Co Pg
What would they look like if you replaced e^b with E^R?

What about the \'Blue Partridge\' Brahmas? They look like Blue Dark Brahmas to me.  What happened to their lacing?
Are they e^b Pg?

Curtis, the Blue Columbians would not have Pg.  They would be eb/eb, Co/Co, Bl/bl, and possibly Ml/Ml or a similar gene to get that good hackle, tail, and wing coloring.

The Blue Partridge Brahmas are just eb/eb, Pg/Pg, Bl/bl; they lack Co and Db.    You can find partial genotypes for a good number of color patterns on the Sellers website.    Sellers gives a genotype for Blue Andalusians of E/E, Pg/Pg, Co/Co, Ml/Ml, Bl/bl.  I\'m reasonably sure the same pattern could be made on E^R/E^R, in fact it may be preferable as you could get better lacing in the tails.   You know, this is the type of discussion I for one envisioned years ago when the club was named the Ameraucana Breeders Club.   Thanks, everyone, for participating.  It makes for a more thought provoking discussion than the mindless chatter seen all too often on some message boards.

grisaboy

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »
Mike,  I like this kind of discussion too.  I find this stuff fascinating.  I\'m surprised that there have not been more diffinitive studies done to actually prove out these theories.  I know that when you crossed buff with brown red to make black gold you hade some buff columbian birds segregate out.
That is to be expected since buff birds carry columbian.  I would think that if Blue birds carried Columbian you would get columbian type segregants when they were crossed to wheaton to make the blue wheatons. I have not heard of this happening.

I think Blue Andalusians would be E^R/E^R, Pg/Pg, Ml/Ml, Bl/bl. I think the Columbian gene is too much of a eumalenin restrictor to make a solid blue background.  If you add Columbian to the above genetic fomula you would get a silver or gold single laced bird.  I still think the key to good blue lacing is the melanotic genes.  I think there are more than one melanotic gene that affects the intensity of the lacing.
I did find a reference that agrees with me, at least on the Columbian part.  I have questions about this study though because it also questions the role of the columbian gene in the single laced and double laced patterns which I do think is pretty well established.  

Title: Further study on the plumage pattern of the Blue Andalusian breed.
Personal Authors: Campo, J. L., Alvarez, C.
Author Affiliation: Departamento de Producción Animal, Area de Mejora Genética, Instituto Nacional de Investigaciones Agrarias, Apartado 8.111, 28080 Madrid, Spain.
Editors: No editors
Document Title: Poultry Science

Abstract:

Results of crosses between Blue Andalusian [female][female] and Brown (eb/eb) tester [male][male] showed that the Andalusian stock was E/E and did not carry a columbian-type gene. This fact was further verified by the cross between Blue Andalusian [male][male] and Melanotic Prat (eWh/eWh Co/Co Ml/Ml) [female][female]. It is suggested that the Bl/bl+ genotype is effective in changing black to blue pigment when only 1 eumelanising gene is present in the genetic background, but it is ineffective in the presence of 2 different genes producing eumelanin simultaneously. With an E/E genotype, Bl/bl+ does not change black pigment to blue in the areas where the melanotic (Ml) or lacing (Lg) genes produce black pigment; this results in the laced plumage pattern of the Blue Andalusian (E/E Bl/Bl+Ml-Lg/Ml-Lg). On a non-E/E genetic background, a single dosage of Bl changes the black pigment to blue in the presence of the melanotic or lacing genes. Double-laced phenotypes were not found in either cross; the role of Co in double and single-laced patterns is therefore questionable. Linkage between Ml and Lg was estimated to be 12.2±2.1%.

Curtis

KevinK1962

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2012, 05:19:57 PM »

I think they could drop the part about \"laced\", since it can\'t be done and still maintain the wheaten pattern...based on what is accepted genetic science as of today.

Here is another link.
Looks like someone has gotten pretty close to acheiving the impossible (based on accepted genetic science).

Curtis

I agree with John about lacing on wheaten.
The bird in that pic does not have lacing, it has edging. The only way one might make proper lacing on the blue wheaten males would be to run separate cock breeding & pullet breeding pens. Krys

KevinK1962

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2012, 05:48:05 PM »
I would think that if Blue birds carried Columbian you would get columbian type segregants when they were crossed to wheaton to make the blue wheatons. I have not heard of this happening.

Are there any blue Ameraucanas with proper black lacing as in correct Andalusians?

I think Blue Andalusians would be E^R/E^R, Pg/Pg, Ml/Ml, Bl/bl. I think the Columbian gene is too much of a eumalenin restrictor to make a solid blue background.  If you add Columbian to the above genetic fomula you would get a silver or gold single laced bird.

If one adds Co to the above genotype, one would not get silver or gold laced bird because Co expresses differently on E & ER than it does on the other e-alleles. If one added homozygous Co & Db to the above genotype one would get blue laced silver or gold. BTW there is linkage between Pg, Ml (& Db). Hope this makes sense. Krys

John

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »
John said:

Here is another link.
Looks like someone has gotten pretty close to achieving the impossible (based on accepted genetic science).

Curtis

Curtis,
It is nice edging, but really not laced or as the guys in the shop used to say \"close, but no cigar\".
When you add the  columbian (Co) gene to a eWh, e+ or eb based bird it takes the black out of the breast.  It doesn\'t have the same affect on E or ER.  Db is also a columbian restrictor and is powerful enough to remove the black breast color of ER males.
If Co is needed for true lacing, then true lacing can\'t be achieved on the wheaten patterned varieties because Co changes the breast color.
Check it out on the Kip Plug-In Calculator...
I had a problem with Co a few years ago when I first got into partridge Chanteclers.  They are eb and most males had reddish breasts instead of the required black.  I think I have most of the Co bred out of my stain.  I kept breeding from only males with the most black breasts.  
Buffs have Co.  They are based on eWh (some on eb), but don\'t have black breasts like the wheaten variety based on wheaten (eWh) because they have/are Co.
One reason I\'ve always suggested using wheatens to improve buffs, but not the other way around is one way you just have to add the extra genes to get a buff variety and the other way you would have to try to breed out several genes...which can be done, but much more work in my estimation.

Christie Rhae

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2012, 12:52:19 AM »
Ok guys, it is going to take me weeks to sift through these posts until they make sense in my brain.
 I love it!

grisaboy

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2012, 11:05:46 AM »
Actually you guys are helping me make my point.
My point is that you don\'t necessarily need Co or Db to make Laced blue bird.
You can\'t get Co or Db on a blue wheaton and yet that cockerel a had a link to has pretty good lacing.  
This idea of edging vs lacing kind of reminds me of the argument that pops up from time to time about light blue vs dark blue.  Usually there are many other issues (Like lacing) that are more important than the shade of blue.
the same is true with lacing or edging.  The standard says in the glossary section that lacing is \"A border of contrasting color around the entire web of a feather. Should be very distinct, uniform in width, and usually moderately narrow.\"  What you guys are calling edging fits this definition.  The standard does not say that you have to have Co or Db to get this border.
Let me show you a couple of other links of blue birds with \"edging\" but do not have Co or Db.  I would not hesitate to show either of these birds as laced.  But they don\'t meet your definition.

This first one is a blue wyandotte.
http://www.poultrymatters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=140

Most blue wyandottes are e^b so they can maintain the yellow legs.  I can\'t see the legs in this picture but i would bet a dolloar that she doesn\'t have any Co or Db in her genetic map.

Check out this lemon blue game
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/BRKGames.html

You can call that edging if you want but if get Lemon Blue Modern Game with lacing like that, you can bet that I will have her in a show room somewhere.  I would guess her genetic make up is E^RE^R Blbl probably some melanizers but not what you would have in a silver laced wyandotte because it would cover up that lemon neck lacing. I guarantee there is no Co or Db in that bird.

Curtis

John

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »
Check out post #18 for what I\'m referring to as \"true\" lacing...
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/622472/best-looking-blue-chickens/10
That bird has what it takes and I assume that includes Co.
Some of us have shown blue Ameraucanas without lacing for decades.  Some looked pretty good...the birds not the exhibitors. ;)

grisaboy

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »
That Blue Andalusian hen is awesome.  No doubt that is the ideal that we are all shooting for.  That Blue Andalusian Rooster higher up on the page sure isn\'t much to crow abut.  Just goes to show that it makes a difference what strain of Andalusians you use.

Christie Rhae

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2012, 01:07:53 PM »
John, post number 18...  THAT is what I am talking about!   lol

That is the lacing that I want.  What a beautiful bird.  You just cannot get that with Ml alone.

Here is a link to the breeders site that I am trying to get andalusians from.  He has sent me new pics too but I do not have authority to post them.
gg.cochinsrule.com  Go to the PRESERVATION BREEDS tab.
Previously I have not posted exactly where I am trying to get my andalusians from because this breeder actually says on his signature on BYC that he is not selling chicks or eggs.  I guess he has pity on me and is trying to help me get some andalusians so is willing to work with Hawaii to get permits, etc. He looks like he has been doing this awhile. Some of you may know him?  

What ever these birds have that is making their feathers look like that...I want that in my blue ameraucanas.  

grisaboy

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2012, 01:18:54 PM »
Some of us have shown blue Ameraucanas without lacing for decades.  Some looked pretty good...the birds not the exhibitors. ;)

If you had this Blue Andalusian hen, what cross would you make to prove that she carries the CO gene?
Assume that she is E^R CO plus all of the other stuff but we only want to prove CO in this mating.

Curtis

Christie Rhae

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »

If you had this Blue Andalusian hen, what cross would you make to prove that she carries the CO gene?
Assume that she is E^R CO plus all of the other stuff but we only want to prove CO in this mating.

Curtis

Who cares!  What ever it is we want it!  lol  Joke...

John

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2012, 03:38:36 PM »
What ever it is we want it!

Carefoot in 1988 says yes to Co.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00071668808417040#preview

Compo in 1991 says no to Co.  FYI, he uses Lg (Lacing gene) rather than Pg (Pattern gene).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2017404

Both of those studies found the birds were based on E, but Okimoto did a study with hatchery birds and found them to mostly be ER.
http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html
Further research by Dr Okimoto (quote from Classroom @ The Coop: Blue & E/ or ER/, posted May 02, 2006) ......
 Some of us speculated that Andalusian blue used ER instead of E because ER would be more amenable to secondary pattern genes like Pg. I recently tested some Andalusian Blues from McMurray. I had a mixed batch of chicks so I could only tell the gray ones as blues the blacks could have been something else. There were three gray chicks that produced gray chick feathers. Two were homozygous ER ER and the third was heterozygous E ER. My guess is that E probably causes the dark birds and that the show quality birds are probably ER.

Does anyone have links to newer studies?

grisaboy

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »
Quote from: Christie Rhae

Who cares!  What ever it is we want it!  lol  Joke...

YOU care.  Otherwise you would not have done the research that you have on the lacing feather patterns.  Anyone can select the best laced Andalusians and cross to black or blue Ameraucanas and then select for the best laced offspring.  But by the nature of your posts it\'s obvious that you are striving to learn more about this stuff and understand it. You also listed a quote, something about not believing what you are told or hear but following your own understanding. If that\'s not someone who cares about finding out about this for yourself, I don\'t know who is.

Why does it matter?  Because if we are content to follow the common wisdom, we won\'t strive to develop varieties like lemon blue modern games with dark blue lacing or blue wheaton ameraucanas with laced blue breasts because common wisdom tells us it is not genetically possible.

Curtis