Author Topic: Lucasville, OH - Oct 6 - 7, 2012  (Read 8179 times)

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
Lucasville, OH - Oct 6 - 7, 2012
« on: August 12, 2012, 07:30:36 PM »
Just wondering how many ABC members are planning to attend this show and what they may be taking. I have a splash, blue, and black cockerel that I was considering taking, (maybe a splash pullet, too) but they were hatched in April so they would only be 5-6 months old and maybe not mature enough. I'd like to go to the show and don't want to go empty-handed, but on the other hand I don't want to take anything that's not ready. I may just go to watch and check out the facility since I've never been there. Who's all going?

Sharon
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

John

Re: Lucasville, OH - Oct 6 - 7, 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 09:00:17 PM »
Some of us, in the ABC, are going because we also breed Chanteclers and it is that club's (CFI) national meet.  I hope to take a few Ameraucanas, but have no idea yet what will be ready.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:24:45 PM »
We plan to be there showing a few Chanteclers.  Also delivering some Ameraucanas, but don't know yet if any will go in the show.

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
Would either of you ever take a 5-6 month old to show? These are 3 that I have decided to sell. I was going to advertise them, but thought that maybe it would be helpful to promote the breed by taking them to the show (since I was wanting to go anyway) but I'm not sure if it would be wise if they aren't fully developed by then. Have either of you ever showed any Ameraucanas that young?
Sharon Yorks

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:09:09 AM »
Bantam pullets are often laying by that age, so certainly are showable.   Most large fowl pullets not as likely, but it is possible if they are fast developers.  Male birds seem to take longer to fill out completely, especially LF.

Russ

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »
I plan on attending to drop some birds off and to pick some up. I was hoping to have some Bantams ready but just learned a valuable lesson. Wire cages do not make good conditioning pens or at least not with my luck. Just noticed a silver bantam and a lavender bantam had broke a few feathers last weekend (they were in separate pens) . I now have them in my breeder pens (resemble the 6 hole one John posted pics of a while back) I pulled them and have my fingers crossed. How long for a sickle feather to grow back in AAAAHHHHH. Mainly just want to see what a big show is all about and pick some brains  ;D

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 07:47:33 PM »
Generally the tail feathers can take 6-8 weeks if pulled out so new ones can grow back.  I think you have time.
Jean

John

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 05:27:49 PM »
I got their show catalog (aka premium book) in today's mail.  If you don't get one and want one, now would be the time to request one. :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:38:03 AM by John »

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 07:38:40 PM »
I received mine yesterday.   Pretty incredible a show of this magnitude can hold its entry fees to only $2.00 a head.

John

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 07:49:21 PM »
They may be the most well-to-do show club in the country, because of all the money they make on the huge swap meets they put on each spring and fall. :D 

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
For some inexplicable reason the Ameraucana Northeast District Meet at Lucasville October 6,7 did not make the show catalog.   Neil Townsend alerted me to that fact by phone last night.   The Meet, as far as I know, is still on.    If anyone cancelled it please let the rest of us know.   Thanks.

John

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 10:17:50 PM »
Michael has it listed on the ABC site...
October 6-7, 2012
Northeast District Meet, placed by Harold Knapp
Southern Ohio Poultry Association Fall Show, Scioto County Fairgrounds, Lucasville, OH
David Adkins, (740)259-2852
1988 Cook Road
Lucasville, OH, 45648-9006

John

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 09:36:08 AM »
We had a great time at Lucasville this past weekend.  I saw lots of friends and met some new ones.  The weather was close to perfect and the show club is one of the best at putting on a show. I didn't take the time to write down the results of the Ameraucana wins, but they will be in an upcoming Bulletin.  David entered several of our birds in the Jr show and did well.  He won Champion AOCCL - Junior Show on a buff bantam cockerel.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 12:40:53 PM »
John, didn't David also take Reserve AOSB in the junior show with a black?  I think it was a cockerel, right?
A descendent of your birds took BB large Ameraucana in the open show, a Buff cock or cockerel.  Jim Fegan had RB with the same Brown Red cock he won 3rd best at Indy last October.   In the bantams, RB was a blue wheaten hen or pullet, but I didn't catch the exhibitor.   My buff pullet went BB in the bantams open show.  She was sold along with another buff pullet and a buff cock that John hatched and sold to Bob Walchak.  I don't know if Ed is an ABC member yet or not.   Mary and I visited friends in northeast Ohio at Sugar Creek (Amish tourist country) after the show, so did not get home until Tuesday afternoon.   We drove about 1700 miles on this trip in our 12 year old Ranger pickup.  But this was one of the best shows we ever attended; there have been many.   It's too bad more ABC members could not have attended.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:51:11 PM by Mike Gilbert »

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 02:23:33 PM »
Sorry I missed you there, Mike. I wanted to chat with you before I left, but couldn't find you when I went looking for you. I ran into John, Russell, and Tom and was able to visit with them a little. I also met a nice member from VA. It was a nice facility and show. I wish there had of been more Ameraucanas, though. I'm hoping to have some birds ready to show there next year.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 02:26:29 PM by Sharon Yorks »
Sharon Yorks