Author Topic: using FRONTLINE on birds  (Read 19860 times)

using FRONTLINE on birds
« on: February 22, 2006, 02:55:10 PM »
I was at a 4H symposium recently, and the poultry speaker mentioned using FRONTLINE dog/cat flea treatment on his birds to control parasites.  we don\'t have fleas here, and mites aren\'t much of a problem normally, so at first it didn\'t register.  but I do have a mild mite issue going on now and I\'d like to keep it from getting any worse.
 I was wondering if anyone here has used Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution for controlling parasites.  if so, what dosage?  was one product more effective?  I have a dozen cat-size doses of Revolution I\'d like to use, but don\'t want to poison any birds if it has been found to be a no-no already.

thanks!

using FRONTLINE on birds
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 05:00:46 PM »
I haven\'t tryed Frontline because of the cost.. but i do use Adams Flea and Tick spray works pretty well . Chris

using FRONTLINE on birds
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 07:41:37 PM »

They have poultry dust availble, it is designed for poultry, and you can still eat the eggs /meat.
It is quite cheep, here about $4.00 a can, the can will treat about 100 birds.
We find it quite effective, and even though we do withhold from eating or selling any eggs for a week after treatment, according to the epa it is safe to not withhold them.

John

using FRONTLINE on birds
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 08:00:15 PM »
I\'ve used it for a couple years.  Peter Brown is the guy that sells it and suggested it to me.  It is available in a couple sizes.  Check it out on his website: http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/

Frontline Spray 8 Ounce Bottle
[FLS8]  $39.00  

Newer insecticide very effective against mites. Must be put directly on skin of birds. Seems to have a long residual life.

Includes complete directions for use on POULTRY.

using FRONTLINE on birds
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 12:30:45 AM »
Quote from: John

Newer insecticide very effective against mites. Must be put directly on skin of birds. Seems to have a long residual life.

Includes complete directions for use on POULTRY. [/b]

thank you- that is exactly what I was needing to know!  I dislike using poultry dust because it is impossible to use without some of it being inhaled by me- and presumably the birds- as well as being in your mouth and all over your clothes.  it is toxic- I don\'t want to eat it!  I also don\'t trust dust to get into all the little cracks, or underneath those little dry-dead skin flaky things that can happen when you have a worse infestation than you thought (guess what I spent the afternoon doing!).  I loved the ease of Frontline for my furry ones when I lived on the coast- I\'d rather not dust 40+ birds at a time again!  

using FRONTLINE on birds
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 10:29:36 AM »
Try putting the poultry dust in with some saw dust inside a box. Let the birds dust themselves. That way you are not exposed to the dust.

Here is a site that has many different insecticides and the dangers of using the dust.

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/List_Products.jsp?SiteName=Poultry%20litter

Rooster

using FRONTLINE on birds
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 11:19:49 AM »

yeah the dust makes me sick too. I have to use a towle around my face to apply the dust, because even the quietest bird will flapp it all over you. even though te dust is labeld that no withholding time for meat or eggs, that is why we wait, i figure if it can make me sick to breath it, It has to cause problems to eat it.
I would like to know were your getting the frontline that is labled for poultry?? I havent seen it yet, but would love to get ahold of some, as it works great on dog\'s & cats to rid them of fleas
so if you know of a supplyer please list a link!! Thanks  :D

using FRONTLINE on birds
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 11:29:57 AM »

Oh i did see the link to Mid-State vetenary supply, but enlarging the bottle I can only see it labled for dogs cat\'s & Kittens?

using FRONTLINE on birds
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 05:30:56 PM »
I\'m sure that is all it is  labled for but it is very effective on controling feather mites and lice on birds.. Don\'t know if I would use it on birds that you eat or market eggs to eat, but on show birds and breeders they are a very effective products.

John

using FRONTLINE on birds
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 08:52:17 PM »
I can only see it labled for dogs cat\'s & Kittens?

If you buy from First State Vet Supply you will get the directions for use on poultry.

using FRONTLINE on birds
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 05:49:03 PM »
An internet search netted the info that Ivomec brand EPRINOX while not labeled for poultry, is being fairly extensively used by poultry people.  It is a dab on the skin version that \'travels\' and is supposed to be especially good for mites and the nasty kind that can give crusty, scaley legs.  It tends to be a bit expensive and the smallest quantity you can get is 250 ml. (roughly pint sized, I think a bit more.)
Exhaustive searches all over the net and ebay, etc. found the lowest price to be about $36 which while significantly cheaper than local Tractor Supply\'s $43 price tag, remember you still have to add shipping and handling.  My local TSC offered full price Eprinox in March that had a \"sell by\" date of June \'06--not something I want to spend money on and store for long term use.  I am trying to contact parent company about real shelf life, esp. if store in refrig.  Anybody out there using this product?  It is also supposedley safe to not withdraw meat or milk (labeled for cows) but I prefer to err on the side of caution with ALL chemical treatments.  Thanks, Nancy

using FRONTLINE on birds
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 07:35:01 PM »

Well the truth is if it is not labled for poultry it is a violation for you to use it....one more excuse they are using for the micro chips they want to install in your birds...\" to police the food supply\" ..as folks are willingly contaminating it by using pesticides in violation to their labled approved uses.

using FRONTLINE on birds
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 01:37:32 PM »
Frontline, labeled for Dogs and Cats, is stored in the sebaceous oil glands in the skin and so is not internalized. It paralizes the mouth parts of biting insects so even if they are attached , they die. I have thought to use it this spring appling to the tail oil gland of poultry so they will spred it when preening
I have used VERY effectivly on my nursing mares and myself ... worth every penny. But for sure you will need to advise people if you are selling eggs as some people will be allergic, as with any chemical.

using FRONTLINE on birds
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 04:35:17 PM »
Rosehound,
  I use Eprinox on my birds, once a year.   I have for several years, and I haven\'t seen mites or lice anywhere since I started using it.  A drop on the tail area does the trick....and, I haven\'t killed anyone yet...eat the eggs all the time.  I also use Adam\'s when off to the shows.   I think more for my own peace of mind then anything.
  You should always exercise caution when using anything not labeled for poultry...as stated, it is a no no....but, try to make me not use neosporin or aspirin on my critters and see how far you get.  I don\'t eat my birds, horses, cats, dogs, or guinea pig...so it\'s a no-brainer for me.  

using FRONTLINE on birds
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 02:16:54 PM »
Or the other way; my husband is so sick of the sound of vet wrap unwrapping!