Author Topic: Coulee Region Poultry Club Show  (Read 7630 times)

Mike Gilbert

Coulee Region Poultry Club Show
« on: May 24, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Lest we forget, my local club, the Coulee Region Poultry Club, Inc, is hosting the 2013 Wisconsin State Meet of the ABC next weekend, June 1st.    Duane - where are you???   We have 15 bantams in 6 varieties entered by 6 exhibitors, and 18 large Ameraucanas in 5 varieties by 10 exhibitors.   Wish more of you could have joined us.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:09:58 PM by John »

DeWayne Edgin

Re: Coulee Region Poultry Club Show
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:41:38 PM »
I don't show birds and i live in PA but if i could afford a road trip just to meet everyone, i would come. There aren't very many shows in my area that i even know about. I would be worried about my birds catching some thing and loosing them. I plan on taking a few trips when my five kids get older though if i can get a nurse to help out with my daughter.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »
Do you mind sharing about your daughter DeWayne?

John

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 10:01:36 AM »
I don't show birds and i live in PA but if i could afford a road trip just to meet everyone, i would come.

Even without bringing birds to show it would be a good experience.  The Fowl Fest, here in Michigan, this October, would be one to consider.  It is in Birch Run, just off I-75, and the fall colors should be great.  There is a huge outlet mall down the road and Frankenmuth is about 8 miles away.  This year our NC district meet will be at the Fowl Fest and I know Mike is planning to come.

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 05:39:45 PM »
My daughter is six years old and when she was born she wasn't even breathing. After three minutes of the doctor trying to revive her, she started breathing. She was life flighted to Hershey hospital were she stayed for five weeks. Her umbilical cord was in a knot causing it to loosen and tighten again. This caused a lack of oxygen to her brain and it was bleeding in spots. She has CP and does not walk talk or eat by mouth. She is learning some sign language now but since she can't use her hands right, we have to figure out what she is trying to tell us. We live about two hours from Hershey and she goes back there twice a week. She also goes to therapy twice a week and sometimes to State college also. She is still a very happy little girl though. My wife doesn't work because of all of these trips and i work away all week. I usually stay away Mondays and come home on Thursday nights. This is why i can't ship birds to people that want them. I get laid off in the winter months and that is why i like to breed then. My daughters name is Pamela in case you want to know. I did get lucky this week because of the holiday. I got a call for Brown Red chicks from a lady in California and she had a white hen for sale. I have a Brown Red hen sitting on 20 some eggs that should hatch on Monday or Tuesday. Since i do road work, we aren't allowed to work on holidays or the day after. This should give me time to ship these chicks and i finally got my White hen! I don't mind talking about my family at all. I am blessed with great parents a great wife and great kids. Johns talk about the mall has my wife saying lets go! I would love to if i can get help here with all of my children while we are gone. I will map quest to see about how many miles it is to get there and maybe make the trip. Thanks

John

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 07:22:36 PM »
talk about the mall has my wife saying lets go!

Have her check out some of the links for the outlet mall and Frankenmuth in my first post under this topic...
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1966.0
Birch Run and Frankenmuth are both tourist towns and make it great for family members that aren't into poultry to find plenty to do while here.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 10:13:46 PM »
DeWayne, your Pamela sounds like very special child.   She is indeed fortunate to have such a supportive family such as yours, surrounding her with care and with love.   God may have great plans for her.  I hope both our families can make it to Birch Run in October.  A lot depends on the condition of my back when the time comes, but I'll try my best to make it.

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 11:37:50 PM »
I map quested the trip and it looks like an 8 hour drive for us. I didn't realize there was another Duane spelled different and you was talking to him. Sorry about that. October is a long way from now but i really want to be there. Thanks for your concern on my daughter and i believe she is a living angel.

Russ

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »
Word of advise do not let your wife loose with the credit card  ;) learned myself from that mistake. Second if your bringing birds they better be Large Fowl I plan on having some really nice Blue Bantams contending thanks to Mike  :) :) :) :) Seriously Birch Run is awesome for little ones there is so much to see and do it will keep you busy for the whole weekend. Oh to stay on topic good luck at the show Mike.

John

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 05:50:01 PM »
Seriously Birch Run is awesome for little ones there is so much to see and do it will keep you busy for the whole weekend.
There are hotels from inexpensive to deluxe or resort types in the area.  I know that some with young families have opted for Zehnder's Splash Village in Frankenmuth.   

Schroeder

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 11:46:55 AM »
Mike:
Funny how John's Birch Run show has taken center stage over your Coulee Region Show post.  He's sly that way.  ;D

Sorry I won't be making the Wisconsin show.  I had good intentions early on, but taking care of my baby WBS's, a huge garden and a week long business trip a couple of weeks ago have really set me back.  As it was, I would have not had any birds show ready, but I still would like to have come.
Duane

John

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 12:20:15 PM »
your Coulee Region Show post
Oh...does Mike have a show this weekend in Wisconsin?  Over here in Michigan (on the other side of that big piece of water) a coolee is like a real cool cat, dig?  Last year I had to ask Mike to explain coulee to me. ;)

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 02:10:16 PM »
Keep it coming, I have boots on today, and my shovel is close by.    It look like Michael won't make it this year either, but Bob Rennolet and wife Sandy will be here.  John McDermott didn't enter, but he is coming over for the day too.   Our entries are down quite a bit from last year, but we have about the same number of exhibitors.  I'm just hoping it does not rain all day Saturday.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
Turns out it did NOT rain on the day of our show, June 1st, 2013.  Here is a report on the ABC State Meet hosted by the Coulee Region Poultry Club Inc.  In the bantams we had 15 birds entered by 6 exhibitors.  Top Black was a cock bird shown by Gina Neta.  Reserve Black was a hen by Bob Walchak.  Only one Blue-Wheaten was shown, a cock by Tom Stallman - Stallmans Poultry in the Pines.   Five Brown Reds were shown by 3 exhibitors.  BV was a cock bird by Mike Gilbert, and RV was a hen by Mike Gilbert.  Four buffs were shown by 2 exhibitors.     BV on a cock and RV on a cockerel both went to Nate Rynish.  One wheaten was shown, a cock by Tom Stallman.   Bob Walchak had the only 2 whites shown, and had BV on a hen and RV on a cock.   BB was won by the Brown Red cock, and RB went to the Black cock.  The bantams were judged by Jeff Halbach, past president of the ABA.
In the Ameraucana large fowl, we had 18 birds entered by 10 exhibitors, and they were judged by ABC member Jim Fegan.  Top Black was a hen by Nate Rynish, and RV Black was a cock by Clay Berra.     Six Blues were shown by 4 exhibitors.  BV was a cock by Jacob Sonsalla, and RV was a pullet by Katelyn Wozney.   Best Blue-Wheaten was a cock by Tom Stallman.  The rest of the Blue Wheatens were either D.Q.'d or out.    Three buffs were exhibited by Hilde Everson, and BV went to a hen while RV went to a cock.  The only wheaten was a cock by Tom Stallman.   Reserve of Breed (RB) was awarded to the Blue cock and Best of Breed went to the Black Hen.     None of the Ameraucanas shown advanced beyond the breed.
We had a very successful chick live auction which included 30 bantam silver and lavender Ameraucanas that were graciously donated by John Blehm, who could not attend due to graduation weekend for son David.
There were chicks of other breeds donated as well, and the auction grossed a cool $230 for the Coulee Region Poultry Club.   Thanks John!  We hope many more Ameraucana folks can join us next year, the first Saturday of June.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:10:34 PM by Mike Gilbert »

John

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »
That coulee must be a hot bed for Ameraucana.  It was a very good number of birds, but the number of exhibitors even more impressive.  Congratulations Mike and all the folks involved. :)