Author Topic: More Questions From A Novice On A First Poultry Show  (Read 2471 times)

Janet

More Questions From A Novice On A First Poultry Show
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:35:27 PM »
I'm entering my first poultry shows in March and am trying to understand the whole poultry-exhibiting game.  I've shown dogs, so I thought that showing poultry would have the same sort of elimination system until you get to the bird the judge(s) believe to the very top specimen at the show.

I have been looking through APA's web site and did not find my answers.  I did find the show rules, but they didn't have much information in them.  The link to the Constitution and By Laws failed.

I didn't see in the show rules any restrictions on who may show under a judge.  For example, could I show my Cochins that I just bought under the judge who bred them and sold them to me at 6/7 months old?  If one of my immediate family members is a judge, can I show under them?  I didn't see that addressed in the Show Rules.  Perhaps they are in the Constitution and Bylaws, but that link didn't work so I couldn't read them.

I read the show rules, but nothing is mentioned about how birds actually compete, other than to say that non-recognized varieties (in my case, splash Ameraucanas and splash bantam Cochins) can only compete up to Best of Variety.

Nowhere in the show rules does it talk about the classes or the route the Best of Variety goes to end up being the top bird in the show.  I am assuming there is a bird awarded something akin to dog shows' Best in Show.

I also read through their list of APA list of recognized breeds and varieties.  I was surprised to find Ameraucanas listed as "All Other Comb Clean Legged" and not in the American group, especially when the SOP describes them as being developed in the United States in the 1970s.

The SOP didn't offer a lot of help for me, either.   Perhaps I'm not looking in the right spot.

Can someone explain to me the route an entry of a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana pullet would take if the judge thought she was the best bird in the show?  What awards would she win to go to the top?  Or is there even an award for the top bird?

I am finding this a lot more confusing than I expected.  Thanks everyone for your patience.

John

Re: More Questions From A Novice On A First Poultry Show
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:58:09 PM »
Can someone explain to me the route an entry of a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana pullet would take if the judge thought she was the best bird in the show?  What awards would she win to go to the top?  Or is there even an award for the top bird?

Birds are judged to 5th place in each of 4 sex classes...Cock, Hen, Cockerel (K) and Pullet. 
From the 1st and 2nd place birds the Best of Variety (BV) and Reserve of Variety (RV) are chosen. 
From all the BV and RV birds in that breed the Best of Breed (BB) and Reserve of Breed (RB) are chosen.
There are a bunch of Breed classes.  Ameraucana bantams are AOCCL and large fowl are AOSB.  All the BB and RB in a class are considered for Champion and Reserve Champion AOCCL and AOSB. 
Next, those winners compete for Champion and Reserve Champion Landfowl.  Turkeys and Guineafowl are also eligible for the Landfowl titles. 
Lastly the Landfowl and Waterfowl Champions complete for Show Champion and Reserve Show Champion titles.

And yes, a "Reserve" bird can go on to place in the next level of competition.  Say there are several varieties of LF Ameraucana shown, but the BV and RV of the same variety (black for this example) are both superior to all the other BV birds in that breed.  In this case the BV and RV blacks would be placed BB and RB.

Study the APA meet report form to better understand.

Awards that go with the different wins/titles may be offered by the show club, breed clubs, the APA, the ABA and "specials" are sponsored by individuals generally.  The awards being offered should be listed in the show club's Show Catalog (aka Premium Book) or website.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:54:09 PM by John Blehm »

Janet

Re: More Questions From A Novice On A First Poultry Show
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 07:02:54 AM »
Thank you.