Author Topic: Pricing your birds  (Read 8463 times)

John

Re: Pricing your birds
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 10:59:34 PM »
I understand some individuals on the internet, farm stores, hatcheries and the like are a problem.  As a club and individually we need to continue to confront the misinformation and follow our mission statement...
The purpose of the Ameraucana Breeders Club is to encourage the continued improvement of Ameraucana bantams and large fowl through breeding, exhibition, and dissemination of relevant information.
Individual members can help educate and expose those that mislead.  I thank our several members that are also on the BYC forum and take the time to disseminate relevant information over there.  I mentioned before that I commented on YouTube videos about "Americanas" and the like.  I wrote letters and emails to hatcheries as others have also.  There are opportunities, if you have some time.   

The club maintains a Breeders Directory of members that want to be listed, but...
The ABC does not necessarily endorse any of the breeders listed.
With that said I don't think the club should do more than offer the Breeders Directory to those looking for sources.  I don't think the club should ever get into promoting anyone's birds.  There well could be some non ABC members offering better stock than some club members listed in the Directory.  We don't know.

Preston started this tread looking for input about Pricing his birds.  If there were a favorite button I would go with what Lee said when she said...
I think pricing depends a bit on supply and demand in your area, as well as the quality of the birds.
Beth said something similar.  Our Breeders Directory also has a note to buyers...
Availability, quality, and prices are a matter of negotiation with sellers.

Max,
Your question would be something the Board would look into, if proposed to Jean.  As the current Secretary I wouldn't want to be in charge of more to do though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:40:39 PM by John Blehm »

Beth C

Re: Pricing your birds
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 12:41:36 PM »
some individuals on the internet, farm stores, hatcheries and the like are a problem.

I was talking to Don Cash a while back about some blatantly dishonest Craigslist ads in our area, and he made a very good point. He said we will never get rid of them, all we can do as get as many good birds out there as possible. The more visible we are at shows, the more responsible breeders we get interested in working with our breed, the more real Ameraucanas for sale at reasonable prices, the less of a market these guys have. I like that plan. ;)