Author Topic: Brown Reds  (Read 11777 times)

Mike Gilbert

Brown Reds
« on: November 10, 2014, 01:42:32 PM »
I was happy to see Clif showing the brown reds he got from Jim Fegan at Lucasville.   How did they look?
Some of us old timers don't believe in showing purchased birds, but I have no problem with others doing that if it helps the breed. 

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Brown Reds
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 09:21:47 PM »
Mike, I think the Brown reds Mr Fegan brought me are very nice birds. Jim brought me 5 total 3 pullets  and 2 cockerels . I usually don't show birds I buy either, however I'm pretty excited about the brown red variety and want people here in our district to get a close up look at just how beautiful  they are. Their feathers were still coming in at Arkansas but they look like they will be In good by Dec 13, I will be taking them to Shawnee  OK.  Mike there was several people that had questions about them. There were people who wanted to buy some and people that said they had never seen brown red Ameraucana's

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:17:43 AM »
I'm the most pleased with my own stock than I have been in years.   After crossing in a part-bantam to improve color years ago, size really took a hit.    And then the males are often about three shades of red: dark in the shoulders, lighter in the hackles and saddles, and yellowish at the tips of the hackles.   This year I am raising a cockerel that is one even shade throughout - now if I can just keep him alive until breeding season.   I also still have his mother or her full sister, so we'll see what happens in 2015.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 09:08:52 AM »
Mike, I was glad to see Clif show the purchased Brown Reds from Jim Fegan.  They are an excellent start for Clif.  If anyone here in the South Central District can make them work it will be Clif as he has had experience with the variety in another breed.  I tried some from Michael M. several years ago that didn't "pan-out"-got rid of them.
Paul Smith

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 09:14:48 AM »
Thanks Paul.   It takes a lot of patience with the Brown Reds, as they only produce about 50% with the coloring you are looking for.   Kind of like breeding blue to blue.

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 02:54:19 PM »
Mike, this is one of the cockerels I bought from Jim in Lucasville.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:21:14 PM by Clif Redden »

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 04:31:09 PM »
Looks pretty good Clif.   How is the lacing on the chest?  His red coloring is more even than most of mine.
Would like to see that tail a little higher, but I realize it is only a photo.

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 07:23:25 PM »
The lacing on his chest is ok but not great. He is holding his tail  a little lower than he normally does, but he does carry it a bit low. The other cockerel  I bought has better color  and his tail set is higher however this cockerel weighs a little over 6 pounds the other weighs 4.5 .  I bought 3 brown red pullets from Jim at the same time, one of them has an abundance of lacing, not only on her chest but also on her shoulders (I was glad to get her as a brood hen). I spoke with Jim about how she could be a benefit. Jim felt she could possibly improve the lacing on the cockerels chest and bring more color to the back and shoulders of the cockerels. I believe he's right and I would love to know what you think about it.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 07:56:57 PM »
The overcolored pullets like the one you purchased are fairly common.    You could use her in a compensation mating with a male that needs more color.   I sold Jim one like that a few years ago, and I believe he said he got some good birds out of her.

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 08:04:12 PM »
Thanks!

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 08:21:33 AM »
Here are a few pictures of a Brown Red cock that i hatched in March from purchased eggs. He has nice even color with one shade of Brown. He wouldn`t stand up in my picture studio so i just put him back in his pen.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 12:15:53 PM »
Nice picture DeWayne, He looks like he is a good sized bird too.  This is a beautiful variety.  Do you have some nice pullets for hatching next year?   Its really great that this variety is finally getting spread around a little more.  Now we just need to see some bantams at the shows so folks can see how nice they are. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 07:24:09 PM »
This is one of the two colors I wanted when I first started searching for Ameraucanas - either wheaten or brown red.  Couldn't find brown red, so ended up with wheaten.

I love my wheatens, but would be tempted by some nice brown reds. 

Should I bring some empty carriers to the Nationals?  lol
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 10:44:53 PM »
I have 16 pullets that i kept this year. I will try to get some pictures on here soon. If anyone is going to be close to PA this year, and will be going by Cliffs or to a show that Cliff will be at let me know please. If my egg color is good from these pullets, i will start selling eggs or whatever i can manage to get to people to get them going with. Thanks

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 09:17:08 AM »
Here are a few pictures of some of my pullets. I have 16 pullets and 5 hens. I also have a few cocks and pullets from a different line. I will be using 2 differnt lines but i will keep them well marked incase one line does not turn out like i hope. I have 2 pullets that are a little overloaded in color but i am keeping them for the future just incase. Susan if they start laying soon and egg color is good, you may want to build another pen.  ;)