Author Topic: Accumulating points  (Read 6809 times)

Jan

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Accumulating points
« on: December 18, 2014, 03:20:00 AM »
My membership is under Jan Burke.  I showed under M & J Farm this year.  Also I got married and my new name is Geis but will renew the membership under M & J Farm..will I be able to keep my poibts?

Jan 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:55:13 PM by John Blehm »

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Re: Re: Points
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:20:45 AM »
Jan,

The Directors discussed this issue last winter and made the decision that points would only be kept/tallied in the member name only.  It is a time issue for the points keeper to sort through membership information to try and match a different name to the name listed on the meet report.

Also, points are only awarded for placings during Ameraucana Breeders Club placed meets.  We had another individual that wanted to know why they didn't have points and the shows they listed were not events that we had placed meets at.
Jean

John

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:24:55 AM »
My membership is under Jan Burke.  I showed under M & J Farm this year.  Also I got married and my new name is Geis but will renew the membership under M & J Farm..will I be able to keep my poibts?

Jan 

From our Points page...
Please enter birds under the same name at all ABC meets to accumulate points under that ABC member name(s).

In junior competition points are only accumulated under a junior’s name, not the name of the family membership or a farm name.   

Under a new last name would be still the same person, but points of an individual wouldn't be incorporated into the family or farm name.  M & J Farm would be different than Jan Burke/Geis.
It makes a lot more work for the volunteer Points Keeper to check Farm Names, from meet reports, to memberships.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:30:02 AM by John Blehm »

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 11:57:52 AM »
  I think the points need to be transferable to a new name (either change of last name or to a farm name) when a marriage causes a name change!
Paul Smith

Jan

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 12:56:04 PM »
Ok I didnt show under jan Burke this year.  I showed under M & j Farm.  I got it approved through the ABA and the APA but wasnt thinking about the breed clubs or I would of boight another membership under the farm name.

thank you

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:36:41 PM »
I agree with Paul, I would like to see that rule changed.

John

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »
I think the points need to be transferable to a new name (either change of last name or to a farm name) when a marriage causes a name change!
The marriage only caused the last name to be changed and as I said that is no problem.  Marriage doesn't cause a farm name change.  Since Jan's farm name is new (not an existing name with ABC points) we can probably transfer her points under Jan Burke to it. It would probably be best for Jan to email Jean with the request to transfer and have the Board discuss it and vote.   
We wouldn't ever what to go the other way though.  Say a family has accumulated points under their family name (with a family membership) or farm name and there is a divorce.  Not knowing which family member was the main force behind the points earned I can't see dividing the points among the individual members.  One person would either continue under that family/farm name or start over cumulating points under a different name.
Also, say two individual members start showing together under one name like, A & B Poultry, we wouldn't transfer existing points earned by the individuals to A & B Poultry.
I know many members want to have farm names and I've even included a line for that on the membership form.  The reality is it is easier for many of us (secretary, points keeper, awards presenter, etc.) to deal with one name and not have to cross reference member names to farm names.  This is the main reason all new members on the forum are registered under their real names.  A few years ago it was a monumental task figuring out what user name related to what member name. 

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:27:42 PM by John Blehm »

Jan

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 02:08:34 PM »
Oh I understand.   I should of got a farm name membership.  Sorry for all the confusion.
Sincerely
jan

Jan

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 06:25:24 PM »
It would only be for two shows  knoxville and Shawnee.

John

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 08:25:48 PM »
I should of got a farm name membership.
Not necessarily, but "Please enter birds under the same name at all ABC meets to accumulate points under that ABC member name(s)". 
If you plan to use the M & J Farm name from now on, just email Jean with the request to transfer your points earned to date to it.  Knowing the facts behind the change I think the board would accommodate you.
If you were just changing last names Shakti and I could take care of that.         
It may just be my opinion, but a farm name like a mysterious username or old CB handle doesn't tell us who a person is...they seem impersonal.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 06:52:36 AM »
Jan the Knoxville, TN. show was not an ABC meet.  No points would be accumulated for that show.
Paul Smith

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 04:23:47 PM »
One thing that a person needs to keep in mind, (and an issue that needs to be discussed) is that there is the potential for a big mix-up when using a farm name. Let's say I join the Ameraucana Breeders Club under an individual membership, but I have 3 other family members who decide to show at one of the shows that aren't ABC members but enter the show under our farm name? I personally think everyone should enter under their own name (mainly for the points keeper's sake), but I am only one opinion and am interested in other views and thoughts on this. 

Jan...does your husband also show Ameraucanas? I'm not seeing him on our membership list.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:32:41 PM by Sharon Yorks »
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

John

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 06:26:29 PM »
I personally think everyone should enter under their own name
It would keep the points easier to deal with.  I believe up till know we have only had one member accumulating points under their farm name, which includes their last name.

Jan

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 11:32:24 AM »
We show every thing together.  If I renew my merbership it will be a farm name M & J Farm.  We are doing it with the ABA and APA they even let us combine our points.  If you guy dont want me to thats ok also I understand.  I guess It would of only been the Shawnee show that I would of received points for.
Really its no big deal.
MERRY Christmas Everyone!

John

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »
If you guy dont want me to thats ok also I understand.

If you plan to use the M & J Farm name from now on, just email Jean with the request to transfer your points earned to date to it.  Knowing the facts behind the change I think the board would accommodate you.