Author Topic: Fixing Splayed Legs  (Read 3197 times)

Fixing Splayed Legs
« on: May 09, 2006, 11:23:04 PM »
I had a chick bail out of the lower hatch tray and craw underneath into the 1 inch air space between the tray and the bottom of the hatcher.  It stayed there from anywhere up to 4 hours before I checked the hatcher again found it.  The damage had already been done.

It now has a splayed leg out to one side.  Anybody had any success in fixing this condition via a hobble or some other similar device?  Anybody have a way to fix it?

Fixing Splayed Legs
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 04:39:07 PM »
I hope this is not to late to be of help to you. See this link for a diagram for a hobble for chicks with spraddle legs:

Spraddle Legs

Fixing Splayed Legs
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 06:56:25 PM »
Thanks...I\'ll give it a try.

Fixing Splayed Legs
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 03:56:26 PM »
It seems to be working rather well.  I put a short 4 inch piece of the 3/4 inch scotch tape on, making a sort of figure 8 (sticky all inside) the first night and pulling the legs in together about an inch apart or so (normal looking).

That didn\'t work too well.  The 3/4 inch wide tape was too wide preventing the chick from having much mobility.  When I checked the chick the next morning, its feet were behind it.  So, I cut the tape in half lengthwise, and made a new hobble.  The narrower tape is working much better.  After 24 hours or so the chick is up and running around.

I\'ll leave it on till tomorrow morning and remove it to see how we are doing.  If needed I\'ll do another treatment.

But, looks to be a winner remedy!

Thanks a bunch.

Fixing Splayed Legs
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 09:40:57 AM »
Actually, the easiest way I\'ve found to do this is with a Band Aid. Small one for banties, large one for the LF. The key is to cut it in half lengthwise, so that it\'s thinner. Then use the pad part of the bandage to determine the width between the legs (usually is perfect), and the tape part wraps around to meet in the middle. They last about as long as is required (normally about two or three days) and are easy to remove. I had to treat a guinea chick just this past week and he\'s doing fine now.

Fixing Splayed Legs
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 06:38:26 PM »
A band aid seems like it would be perfect.  I\'ll remember this next time if I get another chick with splayed legs.