Author Topic: 2016 South Texas State Fair  (Read 7369 times)

Peggy Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
2016 South Texas State Fair
« on: March 27, 2016, 11:39:34 PM »
The 2016 South Texas State Fair is now history. There was an excellent group of Ameraucanas shown in both Large Fowl and Bantams.  Large fowl varieties included, Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Black, White, Blue, Splash and Splash Wheaten.  Bantams included Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Black, White and Chocolate.

This was the first show I was able to attend this show season. It was so good to see Ameraucana friends I had missed all year.  I'm not sure just how everything placed. I'm sure Paul will have a report soon.  I was very blessed to have had Best Variety and Best of Breed Bantam with my Wheaten cock plus Best Variety and Reserve Best of Breed with a Bantam Blue Wheaten hen.  It was a beautiful day and a wonderful time. You just can't beat a good poultry show !!

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 South Texas State Fair
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 04:47:57 AM »
Peggy, congratulations on your wins at the South Texas State Fair!
Gordon Gilliam

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 02:16:07 PM »
I agree with Peggy, it was a great show. Once we all got in and cooped in, everything was smooth. Congratulations Peggy on your wins with the Bantams. I would also like to congratulate Paul and Angela Smith for their Best of Variety, Best of Breed, Best AOSB, and Reserve Champion Large Fowl with their Black Ameraucana cockerel. Congratulation to Max Strawn for his Reserve Best of Breed with his Blue Ameraucana. I am sure that Paul will have the results of the show when the dust settles.

This is a tough time of year to be showing birds due to condition (or should I say lack of condition). There was a great set of Ameraucanas at the show. It was great to be able to see all of our Poultry Show Friends and always a blessing to meet new people interested in the breed.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire
Poultry 2XL

Peggy Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 06:12:37 PM »
Ernie mentioned how tough it is to show birds this time of year due to feather condition or lack thereof.....I had entered a set of Large Fowl Blue Wheaten hens...3 of them.  Went out to load them and they had totally picked each others beards clean !!~!!  They stayed at home !!!  The Wheaten girls were fine but not those girls !! I was about ready for a pot of chicken and dumplings after seeing what they did to each other right before the show...

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 09:19:27 AM »
  The South Texas State Fair at Beaumont, Tex. poultry show was held Easter weekend, March 26, 1016.  Ameraucanas had an excellent exhibition with 74 large fowl and 22 bantams for almost one-sixth of the total show!

Jacob Bates, judged the bantam classes.  Ernie Haire showed seven whites with his cockerel winning BV and hen RV.  Five blacks were shown by Madison Budde and Ernie.  Madison had BV on a cock and one of Ernie’s pullets won RV.  Madison also showed the only chocolate a pullet to BV.  Peggy Taylor showed five blue wheatens.  Peggy’s hen was BV and RB.  Her pullet was RV.  Peggy also showed four wheatens.  Her cock won BV and BB and her hen RV.  Ameraucana bantams are getting a good start in the SC district!

Newly licensed judge Bill Hopkins filled in for judge Steve Jones who recently passed away.  Bill did an excellent job of thoroughly working through the birds and placing them according to the standard!  The largest class was whites with 30 head shown by three exhibitors!  Ernie Haire took the top two places with a pullet and cockerel respectfully winning BV & RV.  There were 11 blues shown by 4 exhibitors.  Max Strawn won BV and reserve breed with a cockerel.  Max also won RV with a pullet.  Eight wheatens were shown by three exhibitors.  Matthew Smith won BV with a cockerel and Paul & Angela Smith won RV with a cockerel.  Matthew showed the only blue wheaten, a pullet to BV.  Peggy Taylor showed the only splash wheaten, a pullet to BV.  Presently several ABC members are breeding splash wheatens to be able to get them as a recognized variety by the APA.  This will cause the number of both splash wheaten and blue wheaten to increase at ABC meets in the future.  Sarah Meaders has accepted the responsibility and challenge of this project for the ABC.  If you are interested in breeding splash wheatens (either bantam or large fowl) and want to help get them recognized then let Sarah know!  Angela and I are helping with the splash wheaten, splash and self blue recognitions.  Speaking of splash, there were two shown.  Paul & Angela had BV on a pullet and Mary Laska had RV on a cockerel.  There were 19 blacks shown by 4 exhibitors Paul & Angela had BV on a cockerel which won BB, best AOSB and res. large fowl.  The RV was a pullet shown by Dorothy Haire.  This show completes the show season for many ABC breeders including the Smiths, Dorothy Haire, Ernie Haire, Mary Laska, Peggy Taylor, and Max Strawn.  Breeding/hatching season is in full gear now!  We are heavily booked for chicks.  Max Strawn said he was also!  Ernie Haire prefers to ship hatching eggs over chicks and has been selling them on an egg internet auction-many over $100 per dozen.

Any ABC member who wants to request an ABC meet in the SC district needs to let me know and we will get it booked before the next ABC bulletin.  Presently have two more requested!  Its really great to see many Ameraucanas shown and winning top honors and on champion row.  They have come a long way the past two decades!
Paul Smith

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 03:41:17 AM »
Thanks, Paul for such a nice report on the South Texas State Fair. We had a great time and really enjoyed the show. It was great to get to see everyone and talk about Ameraucanas again. We hope to be able to start hatching more chicks now that show season is over. We have put more of our show birds down into breeding pens. We are looking forward to hatiching and growing out chicks and getting ready for the fall shows.

We have the incubators full again and hope to get caught up on our orders. Like you stated, we prefer to sell eggs over chicks. We have always sold eggs on Ebay and done well with that. We do hatch and ship chicks, but prefer selling hatching eggs due to the time required to box and ship chicks. We are never able to incubate large numbers of anything because we have different varieties of Ameraucanas and other breeds of chickens.

Thanks Again,
Ernie Haire
Poultry 2XL
Arp, Texas

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 01:42:12 PM »
Congratulations to all of the winners!  It sounds like a great show especially during breeding season.  And I am really glad to see more bantams being shown in the SC region as well.   Keep up the good work!   

What are going to be the big shows in the SC area for Fall 2016?
Any good options for folks that might not be able to make it to the west coast National?
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 09:31:51 PM »
Photos of winning bantams
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:40:31 PM by Paul »
Paul Smith

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 09:43:04 PM »
Judge Bill Hopkins
Paul Smith

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 09:43:53 PM »
Large Fowl winning birds
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:53:17 PM by Paul »
Paul Smith

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
Large Fowl winning birds
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:56:40 PM by Paul »
Paul Smith

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 07:37:25 AM »
Thanks Paul and Angela for the great pictures.  It's great to see the Splash being shown.  These deserve more exposure in the show hall.  And its great to see a good variety of colors in the bantams too. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 08:33:00 AM »
Thanks again for the pictures from the South Texas State Fair. Your quality of pictures continue to amaze me!
As they say, " A picture is worth a thousand words".
Gordon Gilliam