Author Topic: Vent Gleet  (Read 4013 times)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Vent Gleet
« on: July 13, 2006, 04:34:17 PM »
I have a hen that I started treating for vent gleet about a month ago.  She started to improve once I removed her from the flock and treated her; then I felt she was failing so I let her out of the cage I had her in and discontinued any treatment on her.  (I figured if she were going to die, should could do it as a free bird.)  She was very lethargic the first couple days, but then she perked right up and has been out on her own for about 2 1/2 weeks.

She seems like she is healthy now, her comb is red and she moves around good, she even tried to fight with one of the other hens through the fence.

My question is:  Has anyone ever treated vent gleet and successfully cured it?  How much longer should I wait to return her to the flock? (Of course I will check her vent for any signs of gook before I do it.)

FYI: I treated her with a couple days of antibiotics, probiotics, diaper ointment for her skin rash and an over the counter yeast infection cream for her vent.

I would really like to keep this hen as she lays a nice blue egg, and she and her sisters have given me some really nice chicks this year.

Thanks alot,

Jean
Jean

Mike Gilbert

Vent Gleet
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 08:00:16 PM »
I don\'t think I\'ve ever had a hen with vent gleet.   I\'m not sure if we have any poultry health experts on this board or not.    I certainly don\'t claim to be, and we don\'t advertise ourselves as such.   But whatever you did seems to have worked.