Author Topic: Egg colour  (Read 2388 times)

Egg colour
« on: June 11, 2006, 09:38:01 AM »
I have read on a site for araucana (in aus same as ameraucana) that the sky blue eggs come from the lavender variety while the black and brown colours lay greenish eggs... is there any truth behind this connection between egg colour and chicken colour and if so could someone give me a quick run down of the different chicken colours and their corresponding egg colour? I would like to know about splash, buff, blue etc...

ETA - this is to help me pick which colour i want!

Egg colour
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 10:24:57 AM »
It is desirable for all varieties of Ameraucana that the eggs are blue.  From my understanding, the green egg comes from a cross in that particular hen\'s family tree with a brown egg layer (for various reasons like to obtain a desired trait).  That mating produced a generation that lays less than blue...i.e. the yellow pigment in the brown/red egg and blue mix making green.

You can selectively breed for bluer eggs, generation after generation only setting/hatching the blue eggs.  I\'ve also been told that the blue gene comes from the cock, so only using a cock that was hatched from a good blue egg will help produce a generation of better blue egg producers.

Mike Gilbert

Egg colour
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 03:17:51 PM »
Egg color has little or nothing to do with plumage color.    The dominant \"O\" gene that causes blue pigmentation in the eggshell is not on the sex-linked chromosome, so males and females both carry it or lack it.    The multiple genes (up to 12 of them I\'ve heard) that cause brown egg shells are inherited independently of the O gene, so chickens can be hetero or homozygous for both.   The problem is that brown pigment changes the blue to various shades of green.   Thus the challenge is to get rid of the many genes that cause brown color on the egg shells.    Yes, brown shell chickens were crossed in to get proper plumage colors and that is why some, maybe many, strains of Ameraucanas do not lay a true blue egg.   To correct that issue is the challenge that lies before us.    I personally keep no bantams that lay green eggs unless it is a special project I\'m working on, and those are eliminated as soon as possible.    In the future I would hope that folks would be more judicious in their choice of outcrosses in the attempt to create new or improved varieties.