Author Topic: Splash Pics  (Read 16620 times)

Splash Pics
« on: July 04, 2006, 10:18:30 PM »
Does anybody have a photo of a splash cock and/or hen?  Anyone care to post a good example?

Splash Pics
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 08:03:48 AM »

This is a photo of Blanche, our Splash Blue Wheaten pullet (she\'s a hen now, but in this photo she\'s about six months old.) I have no Splash cock birds, can\'t post one for you.

John

Splash Pics
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 08:57:33 AM »
Just a reminder that a splash is quite different than splash wheaten, just as blue is very different than blue wheaten.

Splash Pics
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 09:02:04 AM »
I was referring to the strait splash.  The kind you can cross with black and get 100% blue offspring.

Splash Pics
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 11:22:05 AM »
Sorry, I wasn\'t sure which you meant, thought the photo would be helpful. I don\'t breed black or blue, can\'t help you there.

grisaboy

Splash Pics
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 01:46:15 PM »
Splash Wheaton could be described as a Red Pyle male and a white tailed buff female.  You can see examples of the Red Pyle color in the Standard under Old English Games.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Splash Pics
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 02:49:28 PM »
I have a chick picture and have some 10/12 week olds that I could take a picture of if it would help at all.

Jean
Jean

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Splash Pics
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 05:14:04 PM »
Here is a chick and a pullet, sorry about the editing.....  They aren\'t great photos, but it will give you an idea what they look like.

Jean
Jean

Mike Gilbert

Splash Pics
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 06:46:08 PM »
Laura, your picture is not splash wheaten either.   It is probably homozygous  for recessive white or hetero for dominant white.   The color on the head and hackle just \"leaked\" through.   Years ago we used to get a lot of these in bantams, but finally bred it out.   The large fowl wheatens and blue wheatens were bred up from bantams by Wayne Meredith, so guess I am not surprised it is surfacing in the large fowl.   A splash wheaten female still has a tan (not buff, not white) body, with white restricted to tail and flight feathers.  Perhaps a little white ticking in the lower hackle, as wheatens sometimes have black there.    If I remember correctly, the males looked something like red pyles.  

Splash Pics
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 10:10:53 AM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Laura, your picture is not splash wheaten either.   It is probably homozygous  for recessive white or hetero for dominant white.   The color on the head and hackle just \"leaked\" through.  

Hmmm. I had no idea. I do have Splash birds in my Dutch, so wondered why Blanche was so very white all over her body. I have not set any eggs from her, so don\'t know what I\'d get if I bred her back to my Wheaten cock bird. Perhaps I won\'t at this point.

Does anyone have a photo of a Splash Wheaten hen/pullet they could post, so I could compare?

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.

John

Splash Pics
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 11:07:37 AM »
I went digging and came up with a few pics.  The first is a splash wheaten cockerel (Barbara Campbell).  Note it has the same pattern as a wheaten and blue wheaten, but the feathers that would be black on wheaten and blue on a blue wheaten are \"splash\" on a splash wheaten.
The next two are of a young splash cockerel.  Others may be better at describing this variety, but it is basically a white bird with \"splashes\" of blue here and there.

Another topic is discussing shank/leg color.  Note that the shanks are darker on the splash bird than on the splash wheaten.  It is common for varieties that are recessive wheaten (buff, wheaten, blue wheaten, splash wheaten) at the E-locus to have lighter slate shanks than those that are wild type (silver), extended black (black, blue, splash) and birchen (brown red).  We are still striving for as dark a slate shank color on the varieties that are based on recessive wheaten as is practical.    

John

Splash Pics
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 10:20:29 AM »
Below is a photo of a bird Johnny Parks bred.  He is looking for your input.  Regardless of the mating that created this bird do you think his color is splash wheaten or red pyle?

Blue Egg Acres

Splash Pics
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 01:32:31 PM »
Here is a photo of a splash wheaten cockerel for for comparison. I would think Johnny\'s bird is the red pyle as his color is more uniform than what I have seen in the splash wheaten males.

Mike Gilbert

Splash Pics
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 06:46:58 PM »
I agree with Barb.    I\'m not a huge fan of the red pyle color pattern, but that cockerel could make me a convert.
Does he have any female pics of this pattern?

Johnny Parks

Splash Pics
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 07:18:07 PM »
Thank you Barbara for posting a great picture for me to see.  I have been wanting to see a splash wheaten for a long time to compare.  Your big guy is a beautiful splash wheaten!!!  I am finally able to see what they should look like.  I agree that my bird looks more pyle.  Thank you very much, Johnny