Author Topic: Cockerel ID  (Read 4869 times)

Cockerel ID
« on: October 05, 2006, 11:36:48 AM »
What variety is this cockerel?  Or is it a reject?  The tail feathers got yanked out by some of the other cockerels.

Cockerel ID
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 11:38:39 AM »
Here is the pic.

bantamhill

Cockerel ID
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:34:09 PM »
Brown Red with wattles that are too large. Is that yellow on the foot pads that I see?

Michael

Cockerel ID
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 12:48:57 PM »
The foot pads do look yellow, don\'t they?  I had to go look again myself.  It is actually a funky mud that this picture shows better.  The right shank down to the toes shows the actual color, but the left shank all the way up is the off color mud.

bantamhill

Cockerel ID
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 12:56:07 PM »
There is potential there for breeding brown reds!

Cockerel ID
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 03:30:05 PM »
How long does it take for tail feathers to grow back out?  Does everyone isolate these guys into individual cages to condition them for a show and get their feathers in order?

bantamhill

Cockerel ID
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 05:08:08 PM »
At least 8 weeks . . . I have one it has taken over a year.

Mike Gilbert

Cockerel ID
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 06:17:59 PM »
I would guess this cockerel is split at the e-locus for wild type and extended black.    If he was birchen there should be at least some lacing on the chest.    Brown reds are birchen at the e-locus.  The only way to know for sure is by test mating.   But it does look to me like he has yellow foot pads, which would mean he is not an Ameraucana according to a strict interpretation of the breed standard.

Cockerel ID
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 06:32:35 PM »
OK, so by birchen you mean something like this?  Would this be a Brown Red?  Or not?

Mike Gilbert

Cockerel ID
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 06:57:11 PM »
No, Wes, that is not birchen.   It looks like wild type to me, but it could be something else as well.
Look at the pictures on this and other sites at brown reds.  You will notice lacing on the chest, red hackles with black stripes, and  red backs and saddles  on the males.   We have pictures of both large fowl and bantams on this website.

Mike Gilbert

Cockerel ID
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 07:49:24 AM »
Wes, forgot to mention about the rose comb.   Is this one of your Rhode Island Red / Easter egger crosses?   If one parent was rose combed and the other was split for pea and single comb, this would be one possible result.

Cockerel ID
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 10:24:28 AM »
It wasn\'t me that had the RIR/EE crosses.  I believe it was devitor.

I\'ve seen the pictures on this site and others.  But those pictures show adults, not juveniles that are just starting to come into their colors.  Both of these (cockerel and pullet) are at a maximum 7 months old.  I haven\'t bred any variety other than black or white ams for any length of time.

So, I have no idea what happens to color with time or when you can consider the color changes complete.  I\'ve seen Sun Conures (a species of parrot) take a full 18 months to come into their adult plumage.  Up until that time, they are a dingy, muted, splotchy, shadow of what they will become.

Cockerel ID
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 04:07:27 PM »

That is the color I called brown/red
but I do see yellon on the leggs and feet on those bitds, the cockrel looks like it has one slate leg,and one willow, the hen has deffinately willow leggs.
our origionals were easter eggers, that we have now breed-up, and although we have a lot more with slate leggs now, the willow will keep popping up.
if it is the best you have it is still worth keeping, just know that the yellow will haunt you..forever so it seems, (we are into 7 generations now with our silvers)