Author Topic: EGG SHAPE  (Read 3002 times)

EGG SHAPE
« on: March 18, 2007, 12:40:38 AM »
Hi Folks,

I\'ve noticed my Ameraucana eggs are not necessarily as \"egg\" shaped like say, my Buff Orpingtons.  Some of the eggs it is difficult to determine at first glance which end is the \"fat\" end.  Is this a fault?  Defect?  What?  My chicks hatch out just fine.. in fact they seem to pop out quicker then my Orpingtons.  Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me what is CORRECT as far as shape for these eggs? Thanks!  Luoodles

EGG SHAPE
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 09:13:31 AM »
I have found out  most the time the odd shape eggs are roo`s

EGG SHAPE
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 10:05:44 AM »
Quote from: Lamplighter
I have found out  most the time the odd shape eggs are roo`s

Really!  Wow!  I wonder if it\'s coincidence or not?  In any event, do you often get odd shaped eggs?  This is so perplexing to me as my other chickens lay.. well.. EGG shaped eggs, but I get all maner of shapes it seems w/ my Ameraucanas.  I don\'t mean I get square eggs, wow.. that would be something!  LOL! ... but the eggs just don\'t seem to have that classic fat end/pointy end thing going on.  Also, it seems the left side of the egg doesn\'t mirror the right side of the egg.  Is this just a characteristic of Ameraucana eggs?  

Luoodles  

John

EGG SHAPE
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 12:47:20 PM »
roo`s

Wow...kangaroos from chicken eggs! ;) (I just had to say that)  

I wonder if it\'s coincidence or not?

My guess would be yes.

Is this just a characteristic of Ameraucana eggs?

No, but it is a characteristic that may happen more often with rarer breeds such as Ameraucanas.  We know that we should only set eggs that are of proper shape and size, but because we want every chick we can hatch during a hatching season we sometimes will set every egg.  It would be like having a dodo bird in a zoo that lays an egg.  No matter what it looks like the zoo would try to hatch that egg, because it is rare and may not have another chance (Ja, I know the local zoo doesn\'t have any dodos either).  With larger flocks we generally have more eggs and can be fussier about which eggs go into the incubators.  

EGG SHAPE
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 07:48:08 PM »
I have seen that term used on here before but guess I should have put grow up to be roosters guess i`ll watch my slang sorry  

John

EGG SHAPE
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 08:31:17 PM »
I\'ve seen it used a few time over the past couple years too...but just couldn\'t resist the kangaroo take on it.  I guess every time I see roo I automatically think kangaroo, but have figured out it must be short for rooster also.  
I lead a sheltered life here on the farm. :)

EGG SHAPE
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 10:29:05 PM »
Quote from: John
roo`s

Wow...kangaroos from chicken eggs! ;) (I just had to say that)  Oh Ha Ha.  LOL!

I wonder if it\'s coincidence or not?

My guess would be yes.

Well.. yes, that would be mine, too!

Is this just a characteristic of Ameraucana eggs?

No, but it is a characteristic that may happen more often with rarer breeds such as Ameraucanas.  We know that we should only set eggs that are of proper shape and size, but because we want every chick we can hatch during a hatching season we sometimes will set every egg.  It would be like having a dodo bird in a zoo that lays an egg.  No matter what it looks like the zoo would try to hatch that egg, because it is rare and may not have another chance (Ja, I know the local zoo doesn\'t have any dodos either).  With larger flocks we generally have more eggs and can be fussier about which eggs go into the incubators.  

Yes, unfortunately I only have a few Ameraucanas.  I\'d love to have more, but.. I\'m TRYING to get quality at this point.  I\'ve got a really, really nice ROO(ster).  Which brings me to...

First I was concentrating on just plain NICE chickens.  Chickens that came from show stock, that fit the Standard, and had been given the nod by the local chicken expert around here.  

Then.. it was blue eggs.. not GREEN eggs, but trying to get more of a BLUE or at least blue/gree then a green.  Im there.  I have nice hens that consistently lay nice blue or blue green eggs... I\'m still working on blueER but.. I\'m happy.

NOW it seems... I\'m not getting great EGG shape.  ARGH.  I suppose this is sort of a neverending quest.  Especially when you can\'t raise a hundred chickens.  

Am I approaching this right?  Am I doing things BACKWARDS?  (Gosh, that NEVER happens with me! ~cough~)  Anybody want to share their thoughts and feelings on the above?  LOL!  Thanks, folks!  Luoodles

John

EGG SHAPE
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 08:55:52 AM »
I suppose this is sort of a never ending quest.

Yes...You\'re right.  Perfection is a difficult goal.

EGG SHAPE
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 02:40:58 PM »
Keep your rounder eggs. It is a more desirable shape, in any breed, as the chicks hatch more easily. You can candle for the airspot when putting in the incubator.