Author Topic: vaccine  (Read 2573 times)

vaccine
« on: April 22, 2007, 08:45:43 PM »
Do you guys vaccinate your chicks? If so, what do you vaccinate for? Where do you get them?

Thanks!

Mike Gilbert

vaccine
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 09:13:08 PM »
I vaccinate for Mareks, which must be done soon after the chicks come out of the incubator, the sooner the better.
I get the vaccine from 1st State Vet Supply.   I do keep a couple of other vaccines on hand, but would only use them in case of an outbreak.   Since I have not had to use them for many years, guess I am lucky.   Blessed might be a better word.  

John

vaccine
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 07:14:34 PM »
This is the first year I\'ve vaccinated for Merek\'s.  I don\'t think I\'ve had a problem with it and some sources don\'t recommend it for small flocks.  I am only doing it because some chick customers request it.
As far as other vaccines for older birds folks will vaccinate for (against) the diseases that they have had problems with.  Some diseases are more common in certain areas of the country (climates).  
I\'ve had person experience with Laryngotracheitis (ILT).  I vaccinate for it each year and highly recommend that everyone does.  It wasn\'t a problem, until I went to an out-of-state poultry show and the birds I took to the show brought it home to the rest of the flock.  I had to depopulate and repopulate.  
I usually also vaccinated for Newcastle and Bronchitis.
This year I will vaccinate for Coryza.  Last year I had an outbreak of what I thought was Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD), but was told it may be Coryza so will vaccinate the entire flock once the youngest chicks are old enough.
I\'ve heard breeders in warmer climates have had problems with Fowl Pox, but haven\'t heard of anyone in Michigan having a problem with it.
If you have invested the time and money into your flock that I have I suggest you talk to poultry people in your neck of the woods and find out what diseases have been a problem there in the past.
Survival of the fittest sounds good, until you experience a severe outbreak of some disease that just about wipes our your flock.  Breeding resistance into your flock is a good idea, but it can be a very costly breeding project.