Author Topic: ok...got the roo/hen thing...now basic culling  (Read 2552 times)

ok...got the roo/hen thing...now basic culling
« on: May 17, 2007, 03:52:05 PM »
I\'m hatching bantam Wheaton Ameraucanas...and the numbers are growing.  Not everyone can stay...and I\'d like to begin selling some of the chicks.  What hints and tips can you give me as to making my first cuts on who to keep in my coop and who to let go.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Karen

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 04:31:03 PM »
Outside of obvious deformities and weaklings it can\'t be done.   I\'ve been raising them for over 30 years now, and the
color changes as they mature are pretty much unpredictable when they are only a few weeks old.   As they grow older, weed out willow legs and those with near vertical tails.   The color changes will not be complete until they are adults, not only feathers but eye color as well.   And it should be pretty obvious that over all type will not be apparent until they are nearly mature as well.  Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 05:17:01 PM »
Mike,
Do you cull for vertical tails in both pullets and cockerels??

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 06:42:58 PM »
Sure, why not?   The standard is pretty much the same for both.    Only not too early in life, wait until they are at least 1/2 to 3/4 mature.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 09:04:53 PM »
Er... this may be a dumb question. But what do you do with the chicks/chickens you \"cull\"?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 09:42:53 PM »
If I get any that are deformed, they are humanely put down.
The others go to a swap meet where they are sold for barnyard chickens or for meat to our local Asian population.
They actually seem to prefer the bantams over the large fowl
I\'ve had Hmong tell me \"He\'s too big!\"