Author Topic: Determining Sex  (Read 6960 times)

Determining Sex
« on: August 08, 2007, 07:30:11 PM »
Hi, I\'m new to Ameraucanas and have some 12 week old birds that I\'m trying to figure out.

Specifically, I\'d like to know if pullet behavior is significantly different from cockerels? Do pullets ever face off with cockerels and puff up and spar a bit?

The combs are not developed, but the ones I suspect are cockerels are pinkish and maybe a bit wider. The others are more yellow, but not completely. Are the combs significantly different at this age? They are on my other chickens.  Thanks for any help.

Mike Gilbert

Determining Sex
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 09:31:57 PM »
Speed of maturity depends to a great extent on how the birds are raised, as well as genetic factors.   You should have no trouble determining males from females by the age of 12 weeks if they receive good care.   They also mature more quickly if they have access to the outdoors or grassy runs.
Generally, the males combs will be larger and redder, and the hackle and saddle feathers should be pointed, whereas pullet hackles and feathers in the cushion area at the base of the tail should be rounded.     If you need more help, try to post some photos.    To answer your other quesion, hens and pullets will spar with each other, and with cockerels until a pecking order is established.

Determining Sex
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 10:48:09 AM »
All my birds have access to the yard for at least a few hours each day. I have two groups of Ameraucanas. One is 12 weeks, the other is 8 weeks.

I\'ll give some example photos of each one.

The first bird is a 12 week old.

Head shot and upper back with wings held open:

Back Shot with wings held open:

Another head shot:

Determining Sex
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:55:51 AM »
Bird #2 is an 8 week old that I suspect is a cockerel.

Neck shot:

Bird #3 is from the same hatch that I suspect is a pullet. Notice the comb is more defined on this one, but not as wide and not quite as pink.

This last photo is of all three together. Notice that bird #2 (in the rear), has a different shape head.

On these birds the camera really didn\'t bring out how pink the combs are. They are distinctly pink. I would appreciate any help in the identification. I\'m only keeping one cockerel, and I\'d like to get rid of the extras as soon as I can.

bantamhill

Determining Sex
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 11:09:09 AM »
Bird one is a cockerel . . . the narrow hackle feathers are in evidence and I wouldn\'t be surprised if bird three is a cockerel. I cannot tell from the picture of bird two.

Michael

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Determining Sex
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 03:51:12 PM »
I agree with Michael that the big bird in the first set of photos is definately a cockerel.  

I wouldn\'t keep him for breeding if he were mine, but I am \'trying\' to breed show birds or close to it.

The other two need to grow a little more before I would call them.  However, I have had birds that I have seperated in breeding/laying pens at 20 weeks only to find out 3-4 weeks later they were late developing cockerels.

Jean
Jean

Mike Gilbert

Determining Sex
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 04:15:20 PM »
Bird number one appears to me to have a cushion comb instead of a pea comb.   Cushion combs are the result of genes for both pea and rose combs.    If this is what it appears the bird is a crossbreed, not an Ameraucana.  That would account for the head being shaped differently too.  On the younger birds you will just have to be patient if you want to be sure before you start culling.   Too early culling is always a temptation, and often results in mistakes.

Determining Sex
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 06:02:08 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Bird number one appears to me to have a cushion comb instead of a pea comb.   Cushion combs are the result of genes for both pea and rose combs.    If this is what it appears the bird is a crossbreed, not an Ameraucana.  That would account for the head being shaped differently too.  On the younger birds you will just have to be patient if you want to be sure before you start culling.   Too early culling is always a temptation, and often results in mistakes.

The combs had me confused. The photos I\'ve seen of Ameraucanas haven\'t shown any like these. Bird #1 and bird #2 appear to have the same comb. Bird #3 has the small comb protrusions starting to develop. When I got these, I was under the impression that they were from  show stock, but I may have been mistaken. Not that I care that much, but I\'ve always tended to enjoy working with purebred animals.

Thanks for all the help.

Determining Sex
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »
Quote from: jean
I wouldn\'t keep him for breeding if he were mine, but I am \'trying\' to breed show birds or close to it.
Jean

Jean, I\'m interested in learning what makes a show quality Ameraucana. Can you tell me what traits are not quite right on the #1 bird?  Thanks,

Steve

Determining Sex
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 08:49:47 PM »
Since I took them, I thought I\'d add a few more photos of the young birds.

This is bird #3 at a different angle.

Determining Sex
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 08:51:37 PM »
Bird #2:

Determining Sex
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 08:59:37 PM »
Bird #2

Determining Sex
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 09:03:56 PM »
Last one of #2

bantamhill

Determining Sex
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 09:21:23 PM »
Steve,

The first challenge is type and I will save time and refer you to the following link on this site:

standard

The following link is to the set of 2006 National meet Best of Variety and Reserve of Variety:

2006 National

The comb is an issue, but not the first thing I would check for. I would also check foot pads to make sure they are not yellow along with the skin color which should be white. If the cockerel continues with correct type the comb could be corrected with hens of very correct comb. Sometimes you have to work with what you have and breed toward the standard description of color and type. I know Vicky advertised some blue cockerels which could be used if you have pullets that are okay.

Michael

bantamhill

Determining Sex
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 09:26:27 PM »
The following is a link to the 2005 National Best of Variety and Reserve of Variety:

2005 National Meet