Author Topic: Birchen  (Read 3596 times)

Birchen
« on: December 11, 2007, 09:02:31 PM »
I was wondering if a Birchen colored cockerel would be of any use in breeding?  
I have a couple I obtained as chicks which are about 22 weeks old now.

Johnny Parks

Birchen
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 09:17:07 PM »
I have a few birds in Birchen.   They are getting pretty old by now.  I need to raise a few more very soon.  Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures here or maybe on the ABC sharing place? I would like to see a few pictures.  Would you have any available?  Bantam or Large Fowl?  My birds are bantams.   Johnny  

Mike Gilbert

Birchen
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 09:34:45 PM »
I have a young cockerel with birchen coloring.   He came from a brown red bantam male crossed with a black hen that obviously carried the sex-linked silver (S) gene.   So technically he is half brown red, half birchen, but so far he looks pure birchen.    I plan to mate him with brown red females to produce birchen females.   Such a cross will produce, theoretically, half birchen and half brown red females, all of which are pure birchen or pure brown red since the color is based on either (S) silver or (s) gold.  

Johnny Parks

Birchen
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 09:37:48 PM »
Mr. Gilbert, are you speaking of bantams?  If you make the cross and you have any extra birchen from the cross I would be interested.  Thanks, Johnny

Mike Gilbert

Birchen
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 09:43:56 PM »
Okay, Johnny, but it will be next spring some time - so jog my memory about mid-May, 2008, okay?

Birchen
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 04:52:12 PM »
Johnny,

Is Birchen the color of the rooster in the pic by your name?  That is a nice looking rooster.  I\'m looking for a rooster for my coop but won\'t need it until next year I\'ll have hatchlings in the spirng and will want a rooster a year from then when the chickens are about a year old.

Johnny Parks

Birchen
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 08:25:39 PM »
No, eaemnc, the bird in my avator would most likely be considered Red Pyle.  A birchen cock would be a black bird with silver(white) neck and saddle.  

Birchen
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 11:07:29 PM »
Mike,

I would be interested in some Brown-Red bantams?

Greg

Mike Gilbert

Birchen
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 05:53:26 PM »
Greg,
E-mail me at:   Ameraucana@redstagacres.com .