Author Topic: Lavender hatching eggs  (Read 3039 times)

Lavender hatching eggs
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:03:19 PM »
Does anyone have Lavender LF hatching eggs available?  I\'m not planning to show them, but would like breeder quality.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Lavender hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 11:04:15 PM »
I\'d be interested in eggs suitable for breeding with Wheatens/Blue Wheatens to get Lavendar Wheatens if anyone has some as well.
Thanks, Laura

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
Lavender hatching eggs
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:16:23 AM »
Speaking of lavenders.  I read somewhere that there is an issue with the feather quality in lavenders of other breeds.  Any of the developers here experiencing that?
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

bantamhill

Lavender hatching eggs
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 01:23:38 PM »
I have heard rumors of a feather quality issue. I suspect it is a line related issue and if you start out with good stock it shouldn\'t be a problem. Although, I am next to ignorant about the issue.

Michael

Mike Gilbert

Lavender hatching eggs
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 01:50:03 PM »
I have read the same.   But the BL gene that is needed for blues and blue wheatens has similar issues.   Often the feathers in these varieties will be narrower and have less substance than those of the wheatens or blacks that may be their full brothers and sisters.    Among the multitude of other factors to select for, feather quality is just one more.   Watch the primaries and tail coverts, and select for feather width and substance to stay on top of the game.

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Lavender hatching eggs
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »
Lavender feather quality:  As far as the bantams that I had from John, I did not see any feather quality issues in their offsprings.  In fact the offsprings were very nice and their color look excellent.  Unfortunately I had to part with them because of personal reasons.  As far as the six offsprings I have from my LF pair I do not see any issues with their feather quality.  I have heard about Lavenders having feather issues but no one explained it in detail.  
Harry Shaffer