Author Topic: blue and green eggs  (Read 4052 times)

blue and green eggs
« on: February 26, 2008, 07:38:20 PM »
hi everyone. Hope everyone has been as busy as me collecting eggs! Anyway, have hens laying blue eggs and some laying blue/green eggs. would like to separate hens laying greenish eggs so I can sell their eggs and hatch out the blue eggs. Question..how can I tell who is laying what? By the time I get home from work and collect eggs, they\'re all done for the day. Is there a trick to it? Thanks for any help in advance.

blue and green eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 08:14:07 PM »

There is trap nest boxes , I saw in a Marans breeder site . I will try to find .

blue and green eggs
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 08:50:35 AM »
 There is 2 trap boxes .

blue and green eggs
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 02:33:29 PM »
If you plan to keep all your hens, does it really matter? Just set the blue ones.

blue and green eggs
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 02:44:04 PM »
well, I was going to separate my non-beard hens from the others, hopefully my bearded ones aren\'t laying the greenish eggs. :o

bantamhill

blue and green eggs
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 01:49:56 AM »
Do you have room to set up a pen for just the bearded hens? If it was me that is what I would do initially to get a feel for the egg shell color of the best type hens.

Michael

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
blue and green eggs
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 11:45:56 AM »
If you have a wire cage, you can just put one in every night and leave her in there until she lays.  

If she lays a green egg, you can mark her with a green leg band and if it is blue, a blue leg band.  Just make sure you mark them so you don\'t keep grabbing the same chicken.

Jean
Jean

blue and green eggs
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 05:51:34 PM »
 I found the Marans site that have chicken trap nests .

http://www.marans.be/EN/pages/ChrisHome.htm

See Diversen link .

bantamhill

blue and green eggs
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 10:08:51 AM »
Quote from: jean
If you have a wire cage, you can just put one in every night and leave her in there until she lays.  

If she lays a green egg, you can mark her with a green leg band and if it is blue, a blue leg band.  Just make sure you mark them so you don\'t keep grabbing the same chicken.

Jean

What a great idea! Wish I would have thought of it.

Michael

blue and green eggs
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 10:52:42 PM »
I\'ve read where you can put a small amount of food color in vent. For several days, it will mark the egg as it exits. Remember who gets which color.

Smile!

blue and green eggs
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 07:31:05 PM »
wow. Thanks everyone. Some really great ideas.I do have some smaller pens that are empty. I\'ll put a hen in each one till I get an egg to see color. This is great. It is always great to see all the ideas out there. Thanks again.

Tailfeathers

blue and green eggs
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 09:17:13 PM »
Now that \"food color\" idea is terrific.  I\'ve got a couple of GLW\'s and I\'m pretty sure one of them is laying a small, almost white egg.  

Now I know how to tell which one I need to cull.  I had heard about the trap nest boxes but thought they might be too expensive.  Thanks!!