Author Topic: So disappointed!  (Read 9025 times)

So disappointed!
« on: March 17, 2008, 01:04:03 PM »
Well, my blue eggs that I have been waiting for and excited about for months got here today. I was worried when I saw the corner of the box was leaking goo... not a good sign. I opened up to find the eggs not just broken, but completely crushed! I want to cry! I know its always a risk when you ship hatching eggs, but I have never had this happen before. I can\'t even tell how many eggs were originally shipped. There are only 2 survivors, but they are covered in goo and dissolved egg carton pieces. Should I bother setting them? I had the incubator all warmed up and ready to go.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
So disappointed!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 08:20:41 PM »
Had that happen to me once.  Rinsed the surviving eggs off, but they still developed bacteria rings.  Guess you can try and should find out soon enough if they will develop.  Poor packaging, imo.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

So disappointed!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 02:05:57 AM »
So sorry to hear! That would be such a let-down after all your waiting.
If you post what variety you wanted, perhaps some other members who\'ve had good success with eggs from specific breeders of that variety can give you recommendations of who might be good to place a future order with.
Best wishes,
Laura

So disappointed!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:59:02 PM »
Thats NOT how to pack and ship hatching eggs!  :stare:
I individually wrap each egg in one sheet of bubble wrap then pack newspaper all around them to hold them in place in the shipping box.  Never had any break.

Also buying eggs or birds on online auctions is very risky.
Most of thos people are clueless and don\'t have real Ameraucanas but think they do.  
Its much better go with ABC breeders that know their stuff.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
So disappointed!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 10:02:18 AM »
Vicky,

She told me she did buy from a breeder on the list.  She has gotten more eggs from me which all arrived intact.

I pack my eggs in a similar fashion, but none of mine broke.

There are some members of the club that do sell on eggbid.  I know that Michael sometimes does, I do, and Angela Stanley just to name a few. I do agree though, it is risky as there are those people still selling their \"americanas\".....

Jean

Jean

So disappointed!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 02:40:03 PM »
Jean I haven\'t visited any of the online auctions for a long time and when I did none of you folks were selling on there  as I recall.
At the time I personally contacted several people who were advertising \"Ameraucanas\" and all of them who sent photos had Easter Egg Layers but claimed they were APA Ameraucanas.  This seems to be par for the course and nothing new.

So disappointed!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 02:54:20 PM »
This website has excellent instructions on how to pack/ship hatching eggs if anybody is interested....
http://shilala.homestead.com/shippingeggs.html

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
So disappointed!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 02:58:30 PM »
Ebay:  Complaints.  If enough people complain about EE\'s being sold as Ameraucanas they will pull the item and make them advertise it as EE\'s.  They don\'t want any falsification of adds.  HS
Harry Shaffer

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
So disappointed!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 04:25:58 PM »
Harry,

That, as I have had many a discussion, is in the eye of the beholder.

I don\'t know how many times I have said if it doesn\'t breed true and you are just breeding colors willy nilly it is not an ameraucana.  Most who do this will get their tighty wighties in a bunch and say well both parents are ameraucanas so the offspring has to be an ameraucana......

And, it\'s not like they are like the breeders here trying to make new colors/patterns, who do, I might add tell people when they sell them they are not an accepted variety.

I have referred many a person to our site and tell them as a member of the club, to me it is an easter egger and I will abide by what our club has defined.  I also as tell them as club member it is our goal to improve the breed, not just to sell birds.

I \"technically\" agree that two ameraucanas breed together will produce an ameraucana.  But the problem is, most people wanting purebreds want the standard and are paying a premium price for standard birds and newbies don\'t know what questions to ask to make sure they are getting what they pay for.

Off my soapbox now, anyone else want a turn?

Jean :)

Jean

So disappointed!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 03:16:16 AM »
I have to agree with you Jean. No matter what poultry site you hit on the net the rage is for blue eggs or Marans eggs right now and the con artists are out there big time right now.

All you have to do is look at the pics of these so called SQ birds. Unfortunately most don\'t have the experience to recognize this and get stung. Makes me angry because it does the breeding community so much harm.

As to the eggs shipped above. I have had eggs shipped across the country to me in cartons with great success. The only difference is they had shavings packed around the eggs. Then placed in a well padded box

So disappointed!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »
Well, I set them. No dice. Bummer.

I guess you pays your money, and takes your chances....

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
So disappointed!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 03:00:55 PM »
Hannah,

Please contact me or check your e-mail.  :)

Jean
Jean

So disappointed!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 07:41:03 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I\'ll put in my bit , for what it is worth. Having designed packing for and shipped almost everything from A Polaris Missile down. I went at this like I was shipping ANS Electronics. Anyway what I came up with is a simple and fairly inexpensive way to ship. I use only 81/2 X 11  Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes. I can put 40 eggs in them, and as of yet I haven\'t had any broken ones. I was also selling blue eggs on Ebay, and had a picture of my eggs in my basket. For 3 weeks they went for between $70.00 and $91.00 for the dozen. I just don\'t feel right about selling Hatching Eggs for that kind of money, even though I always add enough eggs so that hopefully everyone will get a dozen chicks. This week I just put in a picture of one of my pullets, maybe people won\'t be quite so crazy.    

So disappointed!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »
I also sell on Eggbid, rarely Ebay, and never pack eggs without anything in the egg carton! I pad mine quite well with cotton batting, the egg carton and lots of bubble wrap and packing peanuts. Havent had any complaints yet, and have shipped lots of eggs this year.

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
So disappointed!
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 11:02:46 AM »
I just bought some gel sheets that I think will make awesome packing material.  They are quite expensive, but you can save the gel from other packages they come in.

Gear...lyn, do you have a description of how you pack your eggs.?  It would certainly be worth sharing.  Practicing what I preach, here is a photo of the materials I used for international travel.  I thought I would have extreme temperature protection and shock absortion.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California